The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kitchen (En)Counters. . .

While cleaning the kitchen here On Crooked Creek ~
I decided it was time to re ~ vamp the counter tops.
Sort of a kitchen (en)counter!

The first work space as you enter the kitchen!


On Crooked Creek's galley style kitchen sits right inside the front door, off the entry hall, in our 1970's Ranch Style home. When we arrived, the kitchen was Harvest Gold with Avocado Green wallpaper! Ladies, there have been multiple changes in the last 10 years!




Years ago, during the largest snowstorm since we've been here. . . I painted all the dark mahogany cabinets Paperwhite! Bringing a  French Country Style to this side of the Prairie, I chose to leave the cabinet door off the lower cabinet and added wicker baskets instead!



This (en)counter top houses our micro ~wave and cleaning essentials !



My two on ~ going love affairs in the kitchen. . .pears and Sunflowers!!! I nearly chose a Sunflower patterned wall paper in the same hues for On Crooked Creek's kitchen, but following my heirloom Grandmother's fruit motif plates, Waverly's pears was the perfect choice!



Each Season, I change the vignette atop the microwave. . .
this vintage heirloom ironstone bowl is one of my favorites! I adore the soft sage green hue! Faux eggplant brings in a touch of Old World charm keeping the Traditional elements that I desire.



Directly across the  (4'7") room is the h a r d e s t working area On Crooked Creek! The coffee station!!!



All my favorites are located here on this (en)counter top!!!
Programmable Cuisinart Coffee Maker, Sunbeam Tea Drop. . .



and my over ~ sized glass canisters with silver lidded tops to store ample amounts of coffee beans and loose leaf tea (or tea bags)!



Directly above the range, is another French Country element. This Spring, "Mr. Ed" added the chicken wire inserts to the cabinet doors giving me a display place for my restaurant collection!



Opposite the range, is the most elegant (en)counter vignette in On Crooked Creek's kitchen! Yet, a very functional area as well!




 Wedged between our new French Door refrigerator and the range is the perfect place for buttering hot toast or assembling a sandwich!



Our Cuisinart toaster was a Christmas gift to "Mr. Ed" from me a few years ago! The man would eat toast every meal if he could! The retro design mimics our very first toaster received as a wedding gift. . . 43 years ago!!!


The entire length of this galley style kitchen measures at 9' 5" and ends with our French Door Refrigerator.




Our side ~ by ~ side refrigerator expired, literary, on a Thursday before Mother's Day this year. "Mr. Ed" and I had previously toured the Parade of Homes in our town and I had mentioned that when our refrigerator went out, I wanted this French Door Style.


This is the area at the end of the kitchen. . .
we enter this way from our garage!

Finally, we have come full circle with our kitchen (en)counter On Crooked Creek! This is the workhorse of the kitchen. . .where all the food preparation takes place.



I purchased these fruit motif canisters from J. C. Penney while we were still residing in South East Kansas! I adore their wooden hinged lids! Flour, sugar and tea bags. . .all the key ingredients. The spice rack was a gift from our son and daughter ~ in ~law!



On Crooked Creek's freshly cleaned kitchen (en)counter is completed with a simple, rectangular tray filled with faux wooden pears and grapes!


Until next time. . .

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning, Pat! Oh, how I love your pretty kitchen! You have great little work areas and very pretty vignettes! I would pull a tooth to have room for a fridge like yours! I just don't have the space for a big fridge, breaks my heart! :) Well, I've told you before, I love your wallpaper and I love the little ledge above your cabinets where your plates are. Have a beautiful day, dear one.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Babs said...

Pat, Oh, I remember avocado green and harvest gold. Not always a good choice for appliances, unless you can have them repainted. You did a great job painting the cabinets and organizing your kitchen.
Babs

FABBY'S LIVING said...

My mom had avocado green and harvest yellow too, lol..I still have a couple of appliances from 1977 in that ugly yellow! Your kitchen is so cozy and pretty, I'd love to be in your coffee station and have a cup of the black elixir with you! You did a marvelous job sweet lady. Great refrigerator too. Hugs,
FABBY

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Your kitchen is so sweet looking. Love the vignettes. It must be so cheerful in be in there cooking away.

podso said...

I always enjoy a tour of your kitchen. In fact I think the first time I read your blog you were talking about your countertops. It's all so lovely and tidy!

Patty Marker said...

I love your kitchen. If I had not inherited my barn red cabinets I would have wanted a white kitchen with pops of color just like yours. What a fun peek inside your daily life.

Elegant Economies said...

Our homes are very similar. The frig' was Harvest Gold when we moved in 14 yrs. ago...it didn't die soon enough! [smile] I love your kitchen!
Blessings, Audrey

bj said...

I love your pretty kit. and especially love the wallpaper and the doorless cabinets. Love it.
Excuse me while I go ck out MY kitchen and make a few changes....
YOU do it....I do it...
Which one are you...Thelma or Louise ??

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Stopped over from "Back Porch Musings" blog. So much fun, to see how another blogger's home is laid out. As I commented to Pat ("BPM" blog) I am a *Floor Plan Junkie,* or something. ,-)

Heavens, I've always loved to think-out the floor plan, etc., on tv shows I have watched over the years. And films, I'm more interested in the settings, than I am in the plot. ,-))))

Thank you for your post.

Gentle hugs,
"Auntie"

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

LOVE your kitchen...I'll be right over for coffee!

Anonymous said...

Pat,
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen, and I hope you don't mind, but I 'pinned' 2 of your pictures to Pinterest...hope you aren't inundated with traffic, but I just HAD to share!!
Blessings~