The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thyme For Herbs. . .

If you would be happy
        all of your life ~
       plant a garden.
              ~ Anonymous


Now that the outdoor temperatures have turned more seasonable~
the herbs are beginning to fill in their spaces On Crooked Creek.

Nearly 15 years ago, I received a Chive as a gift from the classroom Teacher where I was a Teacher~aide. For the better part of the first year, the home for my Chive was a terra~cotta clay pot. Then for Christmas, I received a gift subscription to The Herb Companion. Deep within each issue, I became more knowledgeable and intrigued about these "helpful" plants.




A Spring Tour of a nearby greenhouse found the back of my Ford Explorer filled with all the ingredients of a Kitchen Herb Garden ~ leading "Mr. Ed" to believe my outdoor table on the patio wasn't large enough to contain the variety of herbs I'd purchased!





Armed with treated cedar, electric drill and saw, galvanized deck screws and lengths of rebar combined with the photocopied blueprints of Alison Witt, a gardener and building whiz at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens, "Mr. Ed" began creating the designed compact three ~ tier herb planter. The finished planter measures 3 feet ~ by ~ 3 feet and is approximately 2 feet high.





The planter consist of 3 square boxes. The 3 squares sit atop each other. Set the largest 3 X 3 square on the prepared soil and fill the frame to the top with 3 parts top soil blended with  1 part compost.  Place the middle frame diagonally on the lower frame and fill with the same mixture.Then place the top frame diagonally on the middle frame and fill once again. Pot each pocket ~ 9 in all~ with the herbs of your choice.



Basil ~
Hm~m~m. . .sweet Basil,
how I adore basil freshly picked and chopped in green Spring salads!



Chive ~
Oh~h~h. . .creamy Chive,
how I crave chopped chive and butter on a croissant!
(Maurice enjoys a chomp of chive, ch~ew!)



Dill ~
Divinely. . . delicious dill on my baked and grilled chicken, in decant chicken salad and dreamy, creamy potato soup!
(Newly planted this week..be patient, please!)



Parsley ~
Pristine. . .peppery parsley taste for salads, roasted vegetables, Italian lasagna and spaghetti sauce!



Oregano ~
Only I have nO clue why I bOught this herb Or hOw tO use it!
Any suggestions???



Rosemary ~
Robust. . . rosemary flavor, especially on oven roasted red skinned potatoes!


Sage ~
Simply. . . sage for show!
Serenity abounds from its scent and silvery leaves.



Thyme ~
Tiny. . .thyme robust leaves with teeny white aromatic blossoms.
Tasty in chicken tenders!






Pat's Herb Butter:
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped basil
1 Teaspoon freshly chopped chive
1Teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
1Teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sea Salt to taste

*Finely chop herbs.
*Cream the butter and gently blend in herbs,
 lemon juice and sea salt.
*Shape as desired and chill ~or freeze up to 6 months!

*Serve on french bread, croissants, roasted vegetables. . .
 The possibilities are endless!





If you would be happy
         all of your life~
plant an herb garden.

Fondly,
Pat

Until next time. . .



On Crooked Creek is joining Tam @ The  Gypsys Corner for Three Or More Tuesday!
Be sure to visit all the participants for a variety of threes to see!

8 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, I love a bit of fresh oregano in tossed salads.

Babs said...

Pat, That is a neat herb garden. So creative and pretty. I can't wait to try your herb butter. I just have to buy a few more herbs. I won't get them till we get back from the birth of our new grandson. It's so hot and dry here I'm afraid all our plants will be dead when we return. Your dill sounds lovely. I've never planted it before but I will this year if there's any at the garden center. I usually use dried or fresh at the grocery store.
Thanks for a nice herbal post.:)
Babs

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

This is gorgeous...Can't wait to see all the herbs filled out and looking even more scrumptious.

Blessings Kelsie

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a wonderful herb planter!!! I potted up many of the same herbs this past weekend. I plant multiples on the basil and chives because I use those the most.

Martha said...

What a wonderful herb box!!!! So clever and so perfect!!!! You'll enjoy the herbs!

Marigene said...

What a neat herb planter, Pat. I use fresh oregano in lots of different dishes...salads, spaghetti sauce, butters, vegetables, there is no end of uses for it.

Love Of Quilts said...

I like Oregano on my Spaghetti...you have made me want a Herb garden...so glad you posted what they are I wouldn't know one from another just to see them. Trish

r o b said...

Great idea. Am headed to our local recycling center to get some reclaimed wood. One question, what are the dimensions of the boxes? Thanks!