The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Monday, March 7, 2011

One Year Anniversary!

One crosses many milestones as they experience the journey of life. Our One Year Anniversary was a memorable milestone for "Mr. Ed" and I.



Most young couples spend their first year of marriage together. Not the case for this newlywed couple. You see, March 27, 1970, 
I sent Ed away on a Greyhound Bus.

I vowed not to let him see me cry. I remember standing there trembling on the inside.

As the bus turned the corner, I felt my whole world had just left with him. I remember getting into the car, lying my head onto the steering wheel and just letting the floodgates flow.

Ed had just left for the Induction Center in Kansas City.


When I was graduating from High School, "Mr. Ed" was graduating from Basic Training.

The following morning, I boarded a TWA flight for Fork Polk, Louisiana.

By evening, I would be re~united with my husband.




During his first furlough from the U. S. Army,
we celebrated our One Year Anniversary!


We drove to Kansas City and saw the opening of the movie Funny Girl starring my all time favorite Barbara Streisand at Glenwood Manor.

We spent the night, ate year old wedding cake and exchanged gifts. I gifted him with a Timex watch.

His gift to me. . .this French Couple porcelain busts.

During our many military moves, the male bust was broken beyond repair, leaving the female bust alone, for the better part of twenty years.



Shortly after our Fortieth Wedding Anniversary,
on our Annual Trout Fishing Trip to Bennett Spring State Park,
I spotted a lonely porcelain male bust on a high shelf at the Heartland Antique Mall in Lebanon, Missouri.

As I carefully removed him from the shelf and turned him over ~ the same insignia was on his blue felted base. An exact match to the base of my female busts. 

I cradled him close as I carried him to the cash register where he was wrapped in layers of tissue.

Again, I stood there trembling on the inside. My heart was racing as I begin to think of a reunion, of sorts, for my lone bust.



Arriving On Crooked Creek, 
I placed the male bust on the shelf ~ along with the once lonely female porcelain bust.

Twenty years she waited, alone, to be reunited with her mate. More than twenty years I, too waited, for "Mr. Ed" to finally come home.

A journey that has led us through many milestones. 


The experience of life's journey continues for "Mr. Ed" and I
. . .On Crooked Creek.




I'm joining hostess Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday! Be sure to stop by and see all the lovely table tops blog land ladies have prepared for your viewing pleasure!


Until next time. . .

23 comments:

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

You actually brought tears to my eyes with the beautiful love story...Both the one of you and Mr Ed and then the one of the lovely busts being reunited after all this time....I am so happy you found her mate and even happier that you found your soul mate and continue to love and cherish each other so deeply after all these wonderful years...You are truly inspiring.

Blessings Kelsie

Connie said...

What a sweet story! You captured my attention completely.
Congratulations on your long enduring marriage. God has blessed you and will continue to do so.

Martha said...

What a sweet story!!! And I cannot believe that you found the mate! And after all these years!

I'm so happy for you!

Babs said...

Your love story is the sweetest post. What special memories for you each time you look at the little porcelain figures. Congratulations on your long and loving marriage and best wishes for many more anniversaries to come.

lvroftiques said...

Oh what a touching story! And somehow you found the perfect match in two different ways awwwwwww! Vanna

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Beautiful love story..today would have been mine and Wally's 42nd anniversary sighs many fond memories I have had today..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Pat...

My friend, thank you for sharing your sweet story with us...it was so touching! I am so thankful for all of our military service men and women and their families...they all sacrafice so much for us! Thank you, dear Pat...and please tell your Mr.Ed thank you for me as well! I'm sure there were more "goodbye's" than you can count. Thank the Lord that Mr.Ed is finally home for good!!!

Well dear friend, your Mr.Ed sure does have good taste! What a sweet gift...the beautiful french boy and girl busts...for your first anniversary! They really are gorgeous! I'm sooo glad that you found another boy to make your little couple complete once again! That's just awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this touching story with us, sweet friend! I sooo enjoyed it!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I guess it's the price you've paid for marrying one of the heroes of the world. But I'm so sad for you holding yourself together so Mr Ed wouldn't see you cry.

I love this story of finding the replacement bust. So romantic!

Sarahx

Anonymous said...

Sweet story Pat. I am so happy you found the bust. I love Heartland Antique Mall. Wonderful place.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

What a gorgeous story, I felt my eyes a little wet from a couple of tiers. Mr. Ed's got great taste, what a terrific gift, so romantic. Wow! You're married to a hero. I can't believe you had to hold your own tears so he wouldn't see them. Thank you for sharing your story as it touched my heart...my darling and I were just 36 years married last Feb. 25th., I posted something on it before this one.
I'm most definetelly your newest follower. Looking forward to your nice visit.
LOVE AND GOD BLESS YOU BOTH.
FABBY

Decor To Adore said...

What a lovely vignette! I adore the busts so much I have them too.

Have a wonderful Fat Tuesday!

Marigene said...

What a sweet story, Pat. I am happy you were able to find the other half to your pair after that long.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Pat, this is the most precious and touching post I have ever read! It brought tears to my eyes....so, so sweet that you found the exact mate for your female bust....fate....a powerful thing!

So glad you and Mr. Ed are still making wonderful memories and will continue to do so! :)

Lou Cinda

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Pat, I didn't do the "Test" post, Linda (my blog helper) di to see if it would work. I still can't get it to work though. It is way too frustrating right now so I am leaving it alone for awhile. I should delete that post....

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful story! Many more happy years to you, and them! :)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I forgot to ask what your husband thought of you finding the second male bust. Did he feel replaced by a newer younger model? Haha!!!

Sarahx

On Crooked Creek said...

Sarah,
"Mr. Ed" is irreplaceable! He is the one who insisted that the male bust be wrapped in "layers" of tissue. He wanted to insure a safe trip home (nearly 6 hours). .. he's so thoughtful, like that! He knows my love for him is forever. I am so blessed. Thanks!
Fondly,
Pat

Honey at 2805 said...

I shef a few tears as I read your beautiful love story. I remember a bus....

I have just become a friend and follower.

vignette design said...

What a beautiful story! I am so glad you found your male bust to be reunited with your lonely female porcelain bust. I loved this story! Congratulations on a long and happy marriage with Mr. Ed! ~Delores

bj said...

What a tender and sweet love story, dear one.
Thanks so much for sharing this lovely story.
So thrilled that you found the Mister to your Mrs. They look fabulous together...just as you and Mr. Ed.:)

Katherines Corner said...

What a beautiful love story, Happy anniversary. Hugs

Designs on 47th Street said...

Oh yes! This is a wonderful love story. How sweet. I'm so pleased you shared this with us. So happy you found the male bust to join your lone female. My husband is a former military man as well.

Donna

Anonymous said...

Pat what a sweet story about your french pair!! So glad you were able to find the little guy. I bet she sure was lonely all those years!

bee blessed
mary