The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

For Mademoiselle!

For Mademoiselle, indeed!


When it became necessary to renovate the Main Bathroom in our 1970's Ranch Style house, I was at a loss for ideas. Off the West Wing Hall On Crooked Creek, my own private bath would also be the public bath for guests.


I had envisioned one of those free standing furniture based sinks, but everyone I asked thought I'd lost my mind. Ten years ago, they weren't in vogue, yet! So~o~o. . .I settled for the big box store cabinet with drawers for storage!



"Mr. Ed" and I had discussed an over ~ the ~ toilet storage unit; however we have a floor ~ to ~ ceiling linen closet at the end of the hall. Instead, I painted and distressed a maple shelf we had received as a wedding gift. I adore its crackle finish!



Unlike any other room On Crooked Creek, I chose purple accessories to  compliment the gold and black rose toile wall paper. The various purple hues add an air of royalty to this "oh so French"  Le Petit Main Bath!











These two oil paintings are heirlooms from my MoMa. Their golden leaf frames are now beginning to crackle and chip from age and the moisture ever present from daily showers!



The swag above the pair of prints is iron wheat shafts with various florals. I purchased the iron wheat shafts years ago from Home Interior and added the florals after arriving On Crooked Creek. Only the lavendar is truly Provence!







Vintage , white linen guest towels belonging to my beloved Grandmother! The towels on either side of the Shabby Chic towel bar were taken from her restaurant. Remember when you dried your hands in a public restroom and the cotton towel was pulled from a roll? These were cut and hemmed from that roll when Grandmother closed the restaurant.  The middle towel has hand crocheted with tatted lace finished off with a running embroidery stitch made by Grandmother's hands! These are priceless!



I admired this wooden mirror and shelf from Pottery Barn, but at over two hundred dollars, I settled for the big box store knock ~ off at less that $40!


This vintage gold lipstick holder belonged to my MoMa! I adore how it is the "perfect" floral vase for my faux florals!



This pair of watercolor prints belonged to my beloved Grandmother! They were purchased @ Woolworth's for $2.29 each! Yes...they are identical to the oil paintings of my MoMa's! As the saying goes..."Like Mother, like daughter"...and both were gifted to Mademoiselle!



Inspiration abounds, many times, where we least expect to find it. I had stopped in to The Wall Paper Place in Wichita and when I saw this wall paper in their public bath, I was smitten! I thought it was the most beautiful, le petit bath I'd ever seen! I knew it would be a perfect fit On Crooked Creek, as well! Oh...and ladies what you can't see is the ceiling...painted Coffee Kiss brown!




My guest are quite smitten with this "oh so French" bathroom! During a recent open house, one guest stood for quite some time soaking it all in. "This is just lovely!" was her remark.

I'll leave you with a few random photos. . .













Indeed, for Mademoiselle!



Until next time. . .

FYI:

During the month of March, I'm aspiring to connect each post On Crooked Creek with a Green theme. Keep in mind that the word green has multiple meanings. In this post the Green theme implies to environmentally friendly!

On Crooked Creek uses environmentally friendly, biodegradable, cleansers containing essential oils, and plant derived ingredients. My favorite fragrance is Basil Blue Sage an aroma therapeutic housekeeping cleanser consisting of the essential oils of basil, blue sage and rosemary by Caldrea.



8 comments:

On Crooked Creek said...

Dear Ones,
So very sorry that I've been away from the Land of Blog forso~o~o long.
The MOTHER BOARD on our computer DIED! We are now up and running as of last evening! I'll be around to visit all of my dear blogging friends...soon!
Fondly,
Pat

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Ooh La La, Pat! I love the vintage looking wallpaper and all the wonderful detail! So french and so pretty... your pictures of the girls work wonderfully in your frenchy bathroom!
Yvonne

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

What a stunning room to powder ones nose...You should always decorate from your gut and for your own taste....after all, you do have amazing taste....Love the cleaning products.

BLessings Kelise

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Oh Pat, every single detail in this room is perfect!!! I love the theme, Love the colors, LOVE the beautiful prints, even the light switches!!! But the piece de resistance are the TOWELS from your Grandmothers restaurant!!!! You are right: priceless treasures!!!! SOOOOOO glad to see you back. XO, Pinky

podso said...

Wow, Pat, I love it. Who would have thought of purple but it looks wonderful. I think your choice of a cabinet with drawers is a wise one. Great job. Our guest powder room is next on my list to do. You are inspiring!

Martha said...

Nice to see you back in business and posting again! Love your bathroom and all of your little touches!

Welcome back!

Babs said...

What a sweet and feminine bath. Love the guest towels that belonged to your grandmother.

Candy said...

Im lovin your bathroom, the black and gold paper, the vintage linens AND, I do love purple. I use it in my kitchen with a cranberry painted wall.
I've just become your newest follower. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and maybe you'll decide to follow me back. THANKS. 8-)