The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Son's Father. . .

Honoring my son's father, "Mr. Ed" on Father's Day was truly a delight!  We had just visited my dad in Fort Scott, Kansas and "Mr. Ed" said to me, "I'm not planning my own Father's Day celebration! You'd better call our son and get Sunday's dinner planned." Then he handed me the cell phone.

Our day began at 5 AM, Saturday!
So~o~o. . .
as we headed down 54 Highway westbound, I wrote down my menu for Father's Day On Crooked Creek. Then I called our son. No answer.



Setting a festive tablescape was furtherest from my mind.

No need to leave a voice mail message. Our son knew his Mother would be phoning at 6 o'clock to confirm our dinner plans for Father's Day.

I let "Mr. Ed" sleep in. . .no insertion leaf by myself!

A few minutes later "Mr. Ed's" cell phone begin ringing to the chorus of When The Saints Go Marching In! It was our son confirming the menu and setting the time for Sunday's dinner.

While gathering fresh herbs for the salad. . .

 A quick stop to our near by Dillon's Market Place to pick up fresh salad fixins, pork short ribs, boxed macarooni and cheese, brownie mix and croissants. All the makings of a dinner fit for "Mr. Ed's" festive meal!

. . .I cut  purple cone flower, fresh mint and fresh lavendar!

I'm an early riser. Good thing. . . otherwise I wouldn't have had time to prepare our dinner, attend worship, and have everything ready by 12:30pm! Instead of Father's Day dinner On Crooked Creek. . .we might have been visiting our local Village Inn!

Black, white and green are my favorite color combination.

Arriving on time, son and daughter ~in~law came bearing a card and gift to celebrate Father's Day with "Mr. Ed". We all enjoyed each other's company and shared photos of Grandpa's celebration and news of his well being.

Dining was buffet style On Crooked Creek!

But above all the ties of family and celebration. . .we were, after all, Honoring My Son's Father. . ."Mr. Ed".


Until next time. . .




On Crooked Creek is joining our charming hostess Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch for Tablescape Thursday! Be sure to stop by and be inspired by all the lovely tables from the ladies in Blog Land.

14 comments:

Marlis said...

Great great table. Love the placemats and napkins. A touch of green with anything is almost always a winner as you've shown us here. Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. Many blessings, marlis

Martha said...

Your tables are always pretty -- glad Mr. Ed had a great father's day!!!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, It sounds like you had the most wonderful day! And your table is lovely. What is it about black and white with a splash of color!
Your napkin rings are adorable! Drangonflies add a little touch of whimsey to your sweet table!
Looks like you all had a great father's day.
Yvonne

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty -- looks like Mr. Ed had a delightful day.

Entertaining Women said...

I agree...black and green always yield a wonderful look for a tablescape. The quilted placemats and checked napkins are delightful! Thank you for sharing your charming Father's Day design. Cherry Kay

The Tablescaper said...

What a wonderful Father's Day celebration.

- The Tablescaper

Maria said...

It sounds like a wonderful Father's Day celebration! I must remember to shop my herbs next time I'm putting together a centerpiece. I really like that idea!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful Father's Day table, Pat!

I think we will meander down to Bennett Spring, sometime next week. I am craving a photoshoot at that gorgeous place.

Anonymous said...

Your table is lovely. I love black and white, and the little bit of green is beautiful with it!

Donna (My Mothers {favorite} Daughter) said...

I really love this table, the napkins totally take it over the top...beautifully done! Donna Tullis

Anonymous said...

I love the black, white and green; this combination is beautiful. Your bubble goblets look great in this setting. Your centerpiece has some of my favorites; I bet it had the most refreshing fragrance, too.

Your menu sure sounded good, too!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

What a nice table for Father's Day! I know "Mr. Ed" appreciated it all. I love black and white with almost ANY color! The green is very restful to me! Love those dragon fly napkin rings, my daughter loves dragon flys. I will have to see if I can find some for her! XO, Pinky

Sarah said...

Pat, this is a lovely Father's Day table. I love the black and white.
Thanks for stopping by my Mad Party. ~ Sarah

Emreen said...

Love those dragonfly napkin rings... Beautiful arrangement...