The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

What's On The Menu?

What's On The Menu???

During our "financially lean years" I did menu planning on a larger scale. Trying to stretch meals for two adults  and two growing boys wasn't an easy task on one paycheck. Now that we both work and our children are no longer at home, menu planning is spontaneous.

I keep a well stocked pantry of basic food items and we purchase low~fat meats, fresh produce, and dairy items for 5 ~ 7 days at a time. Most of the Menu Planning On Crooked Creek is done to host an occasion or celebration.


This year "Mr. Ed" and I hosted the annual Father's Day luncheon. We were joined by our son and daughter~in~law to honor "Mr. Ed"! Here's What's On The Menu!
     Menu
  • B~B~Q Ribs
  • Green Salad
  • Mac 'n Cheese
  • Croissants
  • Brownie with Ice Cream
  • Iced Tea


On Crooked Creek a Green Salad consists of Iceberg Lettuce
Purple Leaf Lettuce, Celery, Purple Onion, Fresh Basil, Fresh Chive and crumbled Bacon !



I prefer to chop all the greens and layer them accordingly. This makes enough for two. . .



. . .or keep layering  until there's enough for four!


 I often make a homemade salad dressing to aid "Mr. Ed" in controlling his sodium intake. We have found this Creamy Mustard Vinagrette to be an On Crooked Creek "House Favorite".

Creamy Mustard Vinagrette

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
1/2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Minced Fresh Garlic
3/4 teaspoon Coarse Ground Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salad greens for 6 to 8 people.

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Toss the greens with enough dressing to moisten and serve immediately. For optimum flavor; keep the dressing at room temperature until serving.


HINT:
I use white wine vinegar.
To keep it from being bitter, I add a pinch of sugar.

That's What's On The Menu On Crooked Creek for this week!
We're joining Yvonne @ StoneGable for her brand new linky party, a weekly meme, On The Menu Monday. . .


Please stop by June 26th for StoneGable's first On The Menu Monday for some great menus, recipes,  tips. . .  and more fun than you can shake a wooden spoon at!



Until next time. . .

20 comments:

Martha said...

That salad looks really good and what a perfect menu for Father's Day!!! We always make our own salad dressing as well -- just because we prefer to.

Jacqueline said...

I had to agree with you! Our menus are now for Sundays when the family comes over or entertaining. We only have one left at home and my husband and I eat a lot more simply now (as our metabolisms have slowed!!) This looks fabulous. It must mean something as I have seen a couple of salads today. I need one tonight.

Babs said...

Pat, YUm, your Creamy Mustard Vinagrette sounds delicious. I'll have to try it as soon as I go to the store for Champagne vinegar.
Your menu sounds like a winner to me.
Have a good weekend,
Babs

sell my car said...

Well, The test of this recipe is very good and unique from the other dishes. It is very healthy dish. I like to prepare it every holiday.

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of your vinagrette recipe. So quick and easy!! Thank you!

Lynn said...

Your vinaigrette looks great, can't wait to try it:@)

Mary said...

I'll have to try your viniagrette! Love your menu board!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, YOur salad looks amazing! I never think to put basil in my salads! I will certainly try this little secrect. Also, I don't have a great creamy mustard vinaigrette and now I do.
Look for this ON THE MENU at StoneGable next week with a link back to this delicious post!
Thank you for participating in the first OTTM
xo Yvonne

Splenderosa said...

So happy to meet you, I'm coming over from Yvonne's. Happy On The Menu Monday !!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

You have to be the sweetest person who comments on my blog! Thank you so much for all your VERY kind words!!!!!! Your Father's day menu sounds wonderful!!!! I know what you mean about planning on a LEAN budget, that is just how I was years ago too! Did you ever see those little red, plastic counter things???? I had one for when I went to the grocery....my weekely budget was $25.00 for the 2 of us and a baby!!!! Hard to believe:):) XO, Pinky

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Pat, your salad dressing sounds delicious!! I have never heard of Champagne vinegar but I see you can use the white with a pinch of sugar so I'll try it that way! Linda

bj said...

ummm, what a good looking salad.
Must try that salad dressing.
xo bj

Miz Helen said...

Your menu for the evening looks very good. I just love adding fresh basil from our garden to a lovely salad. Your dressing sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day!
Miz Helen

Janine said...

This menu sounds delicious!! Love your salad!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I love what's on your menu. The menu board is just too cute. Our family meals are far and few between, with Mr. P's illness he doesn't care for a lot of people around at one time. Thank you for swinging by to say hello. hugs ~lynne~

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

This sounds yummy, Pat! I love homemade vinaigrette dressing! Happy week!...hugs....Debbie

Debbie said...

Pat, Your recipe sounds as delightful as you are to know. I only wish the men around my house ate their green veggies like they should. Hoping to see you at our annual garage sale for Memories of Home:)

online counseling said...

That salad looks really good and I like to appreciate you because you prepare a perfect menu for Father's Day. Your recipe sounds as delightful.

San Mateo carpet cleaners said...

I wanted to thank you for this great learn!! I positively enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you post.

Pinellas County Jail said...

This is my favorite dressing now! It was recommended to me by my boss, and it's so fresh and yummy and so easy to make.