The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Kitchen Still Life!

A few weeks ago, while re~vamping the kitchen counters, I decided I needed some cooler items on the buffet and hutch. Our sweltering triple digits made it unbearable here on the Prairie. Our dining room and kitchen are on the Western most side of our 1970's Ranch Style home and I needed some  c o o l e r  hues!!!




Taking off the reds and golds, I began with this new thrifty find from a recent garage $ale! This vintage print is a perfect addition to compliment my fruit motif in the kitchen here On Crooked Creek!




Encased in the gold medallion at the bottom of the print is August 1732! Listed on either side are all the names of the fruits; Apricock, Grapes, Nectarines, Peaches,Plumbs, Pears are the main headings. Then numbers and subheadings for each fruit are listed in this vintage print. The frame is black, walnut and a fine edging of gold. I felt it was well justified with the garage $ale price of $3.00!




Removing the gold and red chili pepper dinnerware from the two~tier plate rack was the next change in my effort to  c o o l  things down in the dining room! I stacked it high with my everyday white dinnerware and one vintage dinner plate for added visual interest.



Another still life print is the inspiration for the changes atop the buffet.



You can get an idea of the intense heat with this photo of the sun streaming through the patio doors (notice the blinds are c l o s e d) long before noon On Crooked Creek!




This still life sits atop the refrigerator in On Crooked Creek's galley style kitchen. 




An heirloom watercolor from my childhood, gifted to me by my beloved MoMa, this print hung on the dining room wall in "the dream house". Since wall space is at a premium On Crooked Creek, I chose to place it atop the refrigerator!




I adore how the ornate top of this vintage coffee grinder mimics the silver bowl in the still life print.




Faux fruit resembles the subject matter of the art piece and is in keeping with our theme surrounding the kitchen On Crooked Creek.



Muted hues add to the mystical, romantic portrayal of the dragon slayer seen in the background of this print.




A gentle shower of rain, double digits for a few days combined with c o o l e r hues are making life On Crooked Creek a bit brighter as the days go by!


Until next time . . .


www.astrollthrulife.blogspot.com


On Crooked Creek will be joining our dear hostess, Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday! Inspiration abounds with each week's remarkable vignettes. Be sure to visit soon!

10 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

So pretty Pat! I love the cabinet and you always have the most wonderful vignettes there.

Amy Kinser said...

It is all so very pretty. I love how intentional you are about every detail.

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your china cabinet is just gorgeous and I adore the way you always accessorize it. So beautiful, and I love that you include art. Love the teascape too. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Heaven's Walk said...

You create the prettiest vignettes, Pat! It looks like you're ready for autumn to arrive....as I am. So tired of this hot, humid summer! Though I never thought I'd complain about summer ever in my life. lol! We so desperately need a cool, rainy day here.

I wanted to thank you again for being such a wonderful blog friend and for always leaving sweet comments that put sunshine in my day! :)

xoxo laurie

Olive said...

You have made me cooler. Thanks. I love your vintage print backdrops. The golds and rich colors are pretty. Olive

Unknown said...

What a lovely visit with you! I love the pictures you have and the still life arrangements are beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Now that is a COOL vignette!!! Sorry, just couldn't help that:):) I do love it, your artwork and all the elements. Love that faux fruit. The white dishes look so pretty on the tiered rack. Stay cool. XO, Pinky

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, I just love your vignetting on this wonderful cabinet. That is such a pretty painting you have too.
Pat, you are so sweet and I just love your visits and kind comments.
Have a great evening.
You are the sweetie,
Shelia;)

podso said...

So pretty. Pat! And I love your button pillows as well. How clever!

Miss Char said...

Pat, your rooms remind me of my color choices and when I saw the Furber's

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=470111166&c=c&search=24511&DestType=12&Referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Faclk%3Fsa%3Dl%26ai%3DCTZEmaj8lUL7OMYeEqwGEuIDYBLjwn1m6zdLABLXj_B4IABADILZUKANQ7tvy4_n_&KWID=13443996&gclid=CIulltvF3bECFYPrKgodYT0AtA&KEYWORD=Robert+Furber&SEM=lang%3D1%26c%3Dc%26search%3D24511%26AID%3D470111166%26KWID%3D13443996%26Keyword%3DRobert%2BFurber%26gclid%3DCIulltvF3bECFYPrKgodYT0AtA

The flower and fruit prints are some of my favorites, I have many throughout my home. Thanks for sharing your beautiful vignettes.