The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Haste Makes Waste!

My maternal grandmother always used sayings when trying to bring about needed change in my childhood behavior. Haste makes waste!

I blew it!

Trying to do a photo shoot close to our scheduled dinner hour didn't convey my best effort. It is with heartfelt gratitude that I thank you for NOT pointing out my short comings on my Isn't It Romantic? post.

Grandmother was correct ~ haste makes waste!

Your kind comments towards the Aqua (blue) dinner plates prompted me to do a bit more research. On Crooked Creek, I spent two hours of "Mr. Ed's" day sleeper time quietly searching Homer Laughlin China on the Internet. Nearing desertion, I stumbled upon a site where I learned the history of my dinnerware.




The hue, turquoise blue, is one of four color choices of this casual line of dinnerware. Epicure was designed by Don Schreckengost and introduced in January 1955. Snow White, Dawn Pink, Turquoise Blue and Charcoal Gray were the four color glazes available on the sixteen piece set retailing at $7.95. Pieces made in the Epicure line included: the creamer, sugar bowl with lid, coffee pot, covered vegetable, round vegetable bowl 8", large platter, pickle, sauce boat, ladle, salt pepper shakers, individual covered casserole, dinner plate 10", salad plate 8", bread butter plate 6", coffee cup and saucer, coupe soup 8" and cereal bowl.







Iron Star Antiques and Home Decor Shop in Fort Scott, Kansas is one of my frequent stops when I take monthly visits to see my Dad. My first glimpse of the Homer Laughlin Epicure Turquoise Blue 10" dinner plates was in the early Spring of 2010. I was smitten! The original six were purchased for $12.00.



Gizmo's Flea Market is operated by a co~worker of "Mr. Ed's" in El Dorado, Kansas. On a rainy Spring Day, I acquired the two saucers and seven bowls at the purchase price of $5.00. Gold Crown Lifetime China Company in Alliance, Ohio actually commissioned Homer Laughlin China Company to make the Epicure to compliment and extend their serving pieces. Amazing ~ I just thought they'd make a stunning compliment to my dinner plates!





Departing On Crooked Creek this past Saturday, "Mr. Ed" and I ventured to our nearby Paramount Antique Mall and The Flying Moose Antique Mall. "Mr. Ed" came home empty~handed. Thinking it was a total day lost for both of us, walking down the next to the last aisle, I stopped short! My heart leaped! Could it be? I, ever so carefully picked up the dish, turned it over and YES ~ Homer Laughlin USA.! The price. . . 17 pieces for $15.00! Four dinner plates 10", four cereal bowls, four saucers, three cups, sugar bowl with lid. . . and they now reside On Crooked Creek!










The hunt will continue On Crooked Creek as my hopes for a complete service for eight becomes closer to a reality.





During a recent stop at our local Thrift Shop to drop off donated items, I happened upon these lovely aqua hued Colonial Candles for $.25 a piece! The original price would have been $15.00.




The following photos are meant to make amends for my former haste On Crooked Creek. Knowing that while we are facing harsh winter weather, it is my wish that you will find refreshment in the hope that Spring is close at hand. Take time to relax, renew and calm your Spirit. 







Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek is joining our hostess, Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch for Tablescape Thursday. WoW! Inspiration abounds. . .stop by and see these lovely ideas for your home decor!
Post a Comment