The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Haste Makes Waste!

My maternal grandmother always used sayings when trying to bring about needed change in my childhood behavior. Haste makes waste!

I blew it!

Trying to do a photo shoot close to our scheduled dinner hour didn't convey my best effort. It is with heartfelt gratitude that I thank you for NOT pointing out my short comings on my Isn't It Romantic? post.

Grandmother was correct ~ haste makes waste!

Your kind comments towards the Aqua (blue) dinner plates prompted me to do a bit more research. On Crooked Creek, I spent two hours of "Mr. Ed's" day sleeper time quietly searching Homer Laughlin China on the Internet. Nearing desertion, I stumbled upon a site where I learned the history of my dinnerware.




The hue, turquoise blue, is one of four color choices of this casual line of dinnerware. Epicure was designed by Don Schreckengost and introduced in January 1955. Snow White, Dawn Pink, Turquoise Blue and Charcoal Gray were the four color glazes available on the sixteen piece set retailing at $7.95. Pieces made in the Epicure line included: the creamer, sugar bowl with lid, coffee pot, covered vegetable, round vegetable bowl 8", large platter, pickle, sauce boat, ladle, salt pepper shakers, individual covered casserole, dinner plate 10", salad plate 8", bread butter plate 6", coffee cup and saucer, coupe soup 8" and cereal bowl.







Iron Star Antiques and Home Decor Shop in Fort Scott, Kansas is one of my frequent stops when I take monthly visits to see my Dad. My first glimpse of the Homer Laughlin Epicure Turquoise Blue 10" dinner plates was in the early Spring of 2010. I was smitten! The original six were purchased for $12.00.



Gizmo's Flea Market is operated by a co~worker of "Mr. Ed's" in El Dorado, Kansas. On a rainy Spring Day, I acquired the two saucers and seven bowls at the purchase price of $5.00. Gold Crown Lifetime China Company in Alliance, Ohio actually commissioned Homer Laughlin China Company to make the Epicure to compliment and extend their serving pieces. Amazing ~ I just thought they'd make a stunning compliment to my dinner plates!





Departing On Crooked Creek this past Saturday, "Mr. Ed" and I ventured to our nearby Paramount Antique Mall and The Flying Moose Antique Mall. "Mr. Ed" came home empty~handed. Thinking it was a total day lost for both of us, walking down the next to the last aisle, I stopped short! My heart leaped! Could it be? I, ever so carefully picked up the dish, turned it over and YES ~ Homer Laughlin USA.! The price. . . 17 pieces for $15.00! Four dinner plates 10", four cereal bowls, four saucers, three cups, sugar bowl with lid. . . and they now reside On Crooked Creek!










The hunt will continue On Crooked Creek as my hopes for a complete service for eight becomes closer to a reality.





During a recent stop at our local Thrift Shop to drop off donated items, I happened upon these lovely aqua hued Colonial Candles for $.25 a piece! The original price would have been $15.00.




The following photos are meant to make amends for my former haste On Crooked Creek. Knowing that while we are facing harsh winter weather, it is my wish that you will find refreshment in the hope that Spring is close at hand. Take time to relax, renew and calm your Spirit. 







Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek is joining our hostess, Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch for Tablescape Thursday. WoW! Inspiration abounds. . .stop by and see these lovely ideas for your home decor!

27 comments:

Martha said...

I love the Iron Star -- I love Barb's ever turning inventory and she has some of the neatest things! I stop in there every time I go downtown!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, Pat! I think we need to take some time and go antiquing. J can look for fishing gear and I can look for dishes.

mary beth said...

Hi PAT! Just stopping by to say Hi from a fellow Kansan..found you on Stone Gable! This is a beautiful table setting, I love the aqua and white..that snowflake table cloth is so pretty! I love decorating with snowy things in January and Feb..can't wait to check the antique store in Ft Scott..Im only 1/2 hour away!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

First off, with a table set like that for your regular dinner hour, I would never say a thing! I would feel like a queen has come to dinner.

THEN to find the setting for 15.00!!! I am coming up and shopping with you. I never find bargains like that. I read on some blogs all the things they pick up for a dollar or two and just get a sick feeling.

Lovely table setting!

Kristen said...

Noticed the name of your blog over on Stone Gable because my dad preaches at a congregation in Crooked Creek in TN. =) Enjoyed your tablescape! Beautiful china!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Pat, your china is so pretty and what a wonderful find. The history of it is so interesting also. Your tablescape is stunning. The soft aqua and white with the silver is beautiful. You've set the table so beautifully.

Thanks also for the info on the little bust I found. It looked like a little boy, and then the collar tripped me up with the ruffles. He is cute.

Hugs, Marty

Kim said...

Such a lovely tablescape Pat. I wish I had your skills. I've tried, but it just isn't my gift. The soft aqua color truly is gorgeous! Thanks for your visit today. It's a pleasure to meet you.
xoxo,
Kim

Unknown said...

What a lovely table. The color of this china is gorgeous and all your accessories match perfectly. I love this china and what a find for you at the antique store. Wow. There is an online china store called Replacements where you can buy all brands of china. If you are having trouble finding pieces they will notify you if any become available if they don't already have it.
Careyann

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Such a pretty tablescape! Love that colour of blue and the accessories you've put with it are perfect! Everything from the napkins to the colour of the candles to the lovely candelabra, so soothing and serene looking!

DD

Alycia Nichols said...

Absolutely breathakingly beautiful! I am a HUGE fan of that hue of blue, and I LOVE what you did with your table!!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pat, I absolutely adore your tablescape. The color of that china is just incredibly lovely as are the candles you placed with it. Love all of your attention to detail, and I can't believe you got your china for such a great price. It's my favorite color.

Hope you will join me at my blog for a china giveaway. The winner will receive something in their favorite pattern.

Happy Tablescape Thursday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mary said...

Your blue & white table is so serene & soothing, it does calm my spirit! Hope you find the rest of your service in your shopping :-)

Donnie said...

That is just lovely and those plates are so pretty.

Marlis said...

The joy is in the hunt. But in your case the rewards are the real joy. Love the blue of those dishes. They are beautiful and your table is divine. Thanks so much for sharing.

Debbie said...

I think those dishes are beautiful! Looking at them, I feel as if I've seen the pink version either at an antique mall or in my mind's eye. Maybe a family member had them when I was growing up.

I can see why you fell in love with them and why you want to find more. I would too!

And your table is utterly lovely!

Carolyn said...

Hi Pat,
I love the pretty romantic table you have set. The dishes are so pretty.
Thank you for your kind words on my blog today.

Carolyn

Lynn said...

Your dishes are lovely, Pat, and what a bargain! Blue and white is such a classic combination. I'm a new follower and I look forward to reading more in the days to come. Thanks for sharing!
~ Lynn @ Cottage and Creek

bj said...

"Here all this time I thought I'd been watching "the MRS. MARTHA" of foodies. . .and you dropped a cake on the floor!"......hahhhaaaaaa...

I can't even believe you would EVER think of me as MRS. MARTHA...I have had more train wrecks in my kitchen than the ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND THE SANTA FE.

Beautiful dishes...beautiful table...
and when I first read your
HASTE MAKES WASTE on your romantic dinner, I thought, OH NO...she's pregnant !!! :)))

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

Dearest Pat,
I am so glad you corrected your previous mistake because it meant we get to see your lovely tablescape again and share the delight that you found more pieces to your HL set..

Thank you so much for dropping by today and sharing your delightful memory with me...You can understand why I do not bother with an out door clothes line here. Between the neighbors ploughing creating dust beyond compare, crop burning and then hay dust during cutting season, it really is just easier to use a clothes drier lol...I do have to say, anyone that truly thinks living in the country is quiet, has not lived surrounded by working farms lol.

I will sure and share veggie garden updates throughout the duration also...I am curious to see just how well it does sharing irrigation and fertilizing with the melon crops.

Blessings Kelsie

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh this is beautiful! The color of your china is lovely and your table is stunning. Everything is set to perfection! It does give a hint of Spring. Can't wait!

Entertaining Women said...

Your tablescape is gorgeous...just elegant. Hard to believe that you found this beautiful dinnerware for such an amazing bargain. Love the blue candles and the napkins with the tablescape. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

podso said...

The internet is amazing isn't it? We can learn so much. It's nice to learn more about those pretty dishes ... I love the color so much!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Hi Pat!! What a gorgeous table and I absolutely adore those dishes! Thank you so much for visiting me and leaving me such kind words! You are a gem! Happy New Year! Angie xo

Denise said...

Lovely, truly lovely.
You know, I'm just crazy about a person who falls in love with a dish pattern. And didn't it make you happy to get the pieces?! What a great job you did arranging all the elements. Gorgeous!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The blue looks so pretty..especially with the silver and crystal pieces! A gorgeous table...very romantic! I love candles but sometimes I forget to light them! lol ♥

Janean said...

pat, the blue is sooooo beautiful. reminds me a little of the kansas sky on a spring day with white puffy clouds!

then add the bargain factor. wow-zah!!!!

Anonymous said...

my grandmother had the entire set now my mother owns it it is a very beautiful set