The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year. . .New Look!

All the Santa's are packed away, relabeled and awaiting another holiday season. All that remains of Christmas past, in the Upper Level On Crooked Creek, are these gorgeous poinsettias. Precious gifts from "Mr. Ed" and my son and daughter~in~law.




On Crooked Creek is joining our hostess, Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch, for Metamorphosis Monday



and our hostess, Marty @ Stroll Thru Life, for Table Top Tuesday.


Please stop by and visit these sweet ladies and all who have participated in sharing their homes for your viewing pleasure and inspiration.


New Year. . .New Look On Crooked Creek!



I LOVE SNOW! Perhaps it has something to do with being December~born. May be it has something to do with living in the Midwest. Whatever the reason, Winter is my season. . . because, I LOVE SNOW!



"Mr. Ed" and I can remember when the snow in our State canceled school for a full week. We remember "make~up" days that extended our school calendar days into the Summer months.



 As a boy growing up on the farm, "Mr. Ed" remembers his dad driving the old Ford pickup truck to a nearby neighbors for a day of sleigh riding. All the country folks gathered at "The Egbert Place" for a day of winter play! A steep hill on an unincorporated country road was the perfect spot to sleigh the day away.




Being a city girl, we took to the streets! My dad, joined with the neighborhood fathers, would block off both ends of our neighborhood street for sledding. Ours had a nice, curvy slope. Perfect for sled racing.






SNOW DAYS were play days for our son and I while living on the German economy during our military career. This European sled was a present for him at Christmas. We took turns taking him sledding on the steep cobblestone hillside streets in the Village of Baumholder. One of those "precious moments" in my memory is the year my son, age 4, and "Mr.Ed" built me a SNOWMAN as a birthday gift. Each time I looked out the window, there stood Frosty. . .twig arms and gravel grin. . .a tribute to my love of SNOW!



I miss those Good Old Days On Crooked Creek! Our snows have been fairly light the past eight winters we've been here. Very seldom does our school district have a true SNOW DAY!




Since "Mr. Ed" is employed as the Night Supervisor for K.D.O. T., when our Winter Storms come, life On Crooked Creek is, truly, bittersweet. Welcoming him home after a tiring 12 hour shift, I recently commented, "Perhaphs, one day soon, you can enjoy the snow when you are able to see it's loveliness from this side of the patio door." He smiled wryly as he headed down the hallway to well deserved sleep. " Wake me by 5:30", was all he had to say.


So. . .does this mean there's a possibility of SNOW in tonight's forecast? Time will tell!




Until next time. . .

14 comments:

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Very cute!! Love the sled!! And that runner is beautiful!!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

I love these wintery decorations.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, your post and wonderful memories as well as those gorgeous snow related decorations warmed my heart. What a beautiful way to display your snowy show!
What a very delightful stop!
Yvonne

Gillian Layne said...

How true! We haven't seen a flake of "sticking" snow this year. I am in love with your little white birds--how sweet!

Martha said...

I love snow as well (perhaps it is because I, too, am December born) and I loved last winter with all the snow we had!!!! Alas, this winter we've not had enough snow to "track a cat"!!!

Beautiful vignettes!

Happy New Year!

bj said...

O, I love snow, too...wintertime is my very favorite season. I love roaring fires in the fireplace, hot tea and coffee, good warm blankies..
everything that goes with winter.
Now, I DON'T want to drive in snow and ice...:)) I wanna stay inside and love it.

A meme, dear heart, is the weekly parties we link up with each week..as in TABLETOP TUESDAY, MET MONDAY, PINK SATURDAY...these are all called memes. (I have not a clue as to how they got that name)
There now...you have learned something new this fine day. :)))

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories you have of snow! It snowed so seldom where I grew up that the snow was a welcomed site. The older I get and since moving to Colorado I think one or 2 snows would be just perfect (right around Christmas time of course!)

I am so excited to see what you will be doing with your little lamp!! Please be sure to let me know when you get it posted in all it's cuteness!!

bee blessed
mary

Carol at Serendipity said...

Pat,
What a lovely blog. I enjoyed your memories. You vignettes are wonderful and beautifully photographed.

Carol

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your sleighs and your vignettes are wonderful. Such precious memories also. I remember the snow rides when I was a kid, how much fun they were. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Pat, your vignettes are beautiful, love the sleds.

~ Pop over for our CSN Giveaway ~
Have a beautiful New Year.
TTFN ~
Marydon

Donnie said...

I love all your memories interspersed with your photos. So sweet.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Pat!

We still have a few things to store away, but left them, to come to the lake. I am sitting here at 7AM watching the first bit of sun over the ridge.

That little house in my blog post is indeed at Bennett. You can walk into the house and look down into the spring. We are going to make a run to Bennett tomorrow. Will stop at Dowd's in Lebanon before returning to the lake. We are craving catfish.:-)

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

What a walk down memory lane you and how awesome you took us along. Reading your post took me back to my younger days when we had snow.

What a delightful set up you have there and the shear dotted runner, SO lovely!~ Perfect for a snow covered hill.

we three dogs and me said...

What fun to have a romantic dinner for hubby.I can feel the love. Hopeyou have a great 2011.