The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

It's Good for You! #1

Dear Ones,
Just before Christmas, I went in for a routine test. NOT a good thing! My test results were good; however the after ~ effects were NOT! I missed my first day from work in nearly four years, had two other tests taken, and am just now getting back on my feet.

So~o~o. . .
after nearly two weeks of soft foods, I decided (now that my stomach was beginning to take on a more solid diet) it was time for eating healthy! "Mr. Ed" and I went on a scavenger hunt through our local grocer while trying to find all the ingredients needed for this healthy recipe!

The thrill of the hunt was beneficial!
Low fat, Low cholesterol and Low calorie. . . this recipe is a keeper!!!




Creamy Spinach Ravioli

1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated light cheese~filled ravioli
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces reduced~fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
1/3 cup fat~free half & half
1 package (10 ounces) frozen creamed spinach in low~fat sauce, thawed
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)


Slice mushrooms, chop onion and red bell pepper.
Cook ravioli according to package directions.
Drain and return to pan;cover and keep warm.

Meanwhile over medium heat, spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray; add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, garlic and black pepper.
Cook and stir 3 ~ 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender
and all liquid is absorbed.

Reduce heat to low; add cream cheese and half~and~half.
Stir until cream cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
Stir in creamed spinach.
Simmer over low heat 1 ~2 minutes or until heated through.

Place ravioli on a 9 X 13 serving  platter.
Pour vegetable mixture over ravioli. Serve immediately.
Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Makes : 6 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Healthy Recipe Information:

*Nutrients per serving: Calories 340,
Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 6g,
Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g,
Protein 18 g, Sodium 580 mg, Fiber 4 g

^Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 1/2 starch, 1 medium~fat meat,
1 vegetable, 1 fat (21/2 carb)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is delicious! For "Mr. Ed" and I it was dinner the first evening,
left ~ overs the second evening and into the freezer for yet another evening as a side dish! 
In thirty minutes or less. . . and. . .
It's good for you!



Until next time. . .


DISCLAIMER:
 The scavenger hunt was due to our lack of knowledge of where to locate the ravioli, as it is something "Mr. Ed" and I haven't purchased before!

4 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So sorry you have been under the weather, Pat...and glad to hear that you are better! I am planning on trying to take better care of myself next year as I have had a few issues as well, so I admire your initiative! Thanks for the recipe!...hugs...Debbie

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

I wish my yearly results had been good ones...I have to have my blood work done again in 3months...Not news I wanted to hear at all.

I already watch our salt intake because hubby has high BP...but we could still eat much healthier too...part of that is why I want to try and grow and raise as much of our own food as possible...It really is so hard to hunt down the healthy (truly healthy) foods in a super market...Much harder than it should be that is for sure.

I hope your health continues to improve.

Blessings and Merry Christmas
Kelsie

Martha said...

Glad everything turned out okay. We all should eat healthier! That recipe looks yummy!

Merry Christmas!

Marigene said...

Glad you got a good test results, Pat!
This pasta dish sounds delicious...thanks for sharing.