The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Fall Cloche Party!

My very first "party"!
I'm so honored to be invited to participate in. . .
A Fall Cloche Party ! ! !




I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to our hostess,
Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life, for all of her planning with
such inspiring ideas for Fall Cloches on her recent posts.

My Fall Cloche is a tribute to my in~laws, Edwin & Mary.
I purchased this hand painted fine porcelain figurine to
commemorate the family tradition of sharing Thanksgiving
at their home since "Mr. Ed" and I announced our engagement
( Thanksgiving 1968) until the time when their health no longer
allowed for them to host. Being retired from Ed's Army career,
and being close once again, the torch was passed to us!
A tradition that continues On Crooked Creek.



The piece from the Jessie Wilcox Smith Collection,
a 1986 Holiday Figurine Series titled "Giving Thanks"
was purchased from Avon. Its design comes from an
original figurine that premiered in 1930's Good Housekeeping
Magazine by the Hearst Corporation.



Mary always spoke fondly of Good Housekeeping Magazine . . .
renaming it. . .My Magazine.

"Giving Thanks" receives a place of honor On Crooked Creek
each year during Thanksgiving. It only seemed appropriate that it would be the premiere item to be displayed in my first cloche!


Purchased the Summer of 2009, the cloche came with the green
cast iron base. The base was really what attracted my eye. . .
the actual cloche (bell ) makes me very nervous! ! !

Early in the Fall,
I placed the cloche in our entry hall On Crooked Creek.



The vintage print above is a watercolor depicting a farm couple
"Giving Thanks" over their bountiful harvest. A gift to my husband from his Grandmother Ida, Mary's mother.



Our family tradition On Crooked Creek is to alternate holidays
with our grown son and daughter~in~law. This year we will be
joining them at their home (in the country) for Thanksgiving.
The tablescape photoset is from Thanksgiving 2009.


Again, a place of honor on our Thanksgiving table to celebrate the numerous blessings On Crooked Creek. . .



Marty, many thanks for asking me to participate in your
Fall Cloche Party. As an honored guest, I wanted to express how much I admire the quote from your Mom at the top of your blog.

"Giving Thanks" for Ed's parents, Edwin and Mary.
The family tradition continues. . .handed from one generation to another. Blest be the tie that binds.

Until next time. . .

18 comments:

Lynn said...

What special memories and the figurine looks beautiful showcased in the cloche-enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I love that it has special meaning.

I love the Bennett Spring photos!

Martha said...

welcome to the party and I like what you did with your cloche! Aren't memories the best!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a touching and beautiful post. I love your cloche and the figures are so precious. Such special memories and tradition handed down through the years filled with the most wonderful memories I am sure. Thank you so much for linking to the party. Hugs, Marty

Char said...

Your table is just beautiful, the colors are perfect and the story of family is my favorite. I think the figures in your cloche are precious, Char

PC said...

Ooh this is awesome! Paula from Idaho

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Pat...

What a lovely tribute to your dear in-laws! The "Giving Thanks" figurine is really beautiful...and it looks even more lovely under your new cloche! I'm so glad that you were able to join in with Marty's cloche party, my friend! I really enjoyed your autumn vignette on your entry table...so very pretty! Ohhh my...and your thanksgiving table was gorgeous! I know it's a bit early but I hope that you and your sweet family have a fabulous Thanksgiving in the country!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Unknown said...

I LOVE that little figurine!! It is perfect for fall and Thanksgiving!! :)

~Liz

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What a sweet tribute and a darling cloche too.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Sue said...

Your cloche is beautiful. I love the base of it. What I really enjoyed is the love in this post, the story of family and tradition.

Karie said...

Love the cloche'. Love the color of it. I loved the story. . . so sweet and endearing. You are so blessed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, what a sweet cloche display!! Sweet story and tribute!!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a sweet cloche -- and a wonderful tribute -- Thanksgiving is very special to us -- we were married on "Thanksgiving Eve" almost 35 years ago -- I always feel that's our anniversary no matter what the date is.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

What a wonderful post!!! Your love for family shines this post!!! Love the cloche!!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a beautiful piece to show off under your cloche, Pat! I love the story behind it, too. I have to agree with you that most of the time it is the base that catches my eye on a cloche and the glass part does make me nervous. I have been so clutzy lately that I am only worried about myself breaking it!

Sue said...

Just beautiful!

Susan

awal.ny said...

How sweet, that is a lovely cloche and such meaning.

Sue@sprucelakecottage said...

What a lovely arrangement and a very special tribute to your in-laws. Have a wonderful day.
Sue in Ohio