The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Monday, September 6, 2010

"Are We Expecting Company?"

As some of you already know. . . I detest yard work !
I love a well maintained lawn and flower beds,
but ours are always the handiwork of my DH. . ."Mr. Ed".

I don't know if my dislike comes from my Southern upbringing
or my dad's displeasure of the weeded row of radishes and
broken crank shaft on the lawn mower from my youth.

So. . .today while Ed was staining the deck. . .
I played with dishes!




"Are we expecting company?", Mr. Ed asked
when I opened the door off the garage to show him
what I'd been working on while he was laboring in the heat!

Years ago, Ed and I purchased a small round dining room
table to replace the long, rectangular table of my Grandmother's.
It gives a bit more room to maneuver from the living room
to the kitchen.



Instead of the usual table cloth, today in honor of cooling
temperatures, I chose a cream color quilted throw.



I added round quilted place mats with warm earth tones
in a paisley and floral pattern.



There's a method to my madness of sitting the plates off
to one side of the place mat. Without fear of tipping, the
clear bubble ice tea glasses need more space at the place mat top.

Now, the layering begins. . .

First, the plates. . .a mustard golden color with a caramel rim.
The center design is of Chili peppers!



Next, comes the dessert / salad plates in full patterned chili
peppers with lime and sage greens.



Topping the dessert / salad plate are what "sold me" on this
dishware. Cute little handled cereal /soup bowls. The possibilities are endless; however, Crunchy, Munhcy Chili served up
piping hot tops our lists of favorites for fall On Crooked Creek.



Matching napkins held by wooden napkin rings enrich and soften the place settings. The addition of "bee" water goblets adds a touch of whimsy to our casual dining.


My favorite flowers. . .Sunflowers! ! !
This time of year Sunflowers take center stage On Crooked Creek.Prone to allergies, I choose faux flowers in the majority of my arrangements. The sage green duo-handled olive jar mimics the handled bowls.


The addition of tiny brown pumpkins add to an overall autumnal
feeling and make cute place card holders.



An acorn candle ring encompasses the olive jar and is enhanced with the additional larger wooden acorns.



Wait a minute. . .an uninvited guest?
No, a cast iron squirrel resembles those that frequent the bird feeders On Crooked Creek and entertain Maurice, Ed and I.



I wonder. . .did he offer up grace?



Another close-up of the "bee" water goblets purchased by DH
as a memento commemorating our 40th Wedding Anniversary
trip to Atchison, Kansas.



The summer heat continues to linger On Crooked Creek,
but our Spirits have been refreshed by the coolness of our
morning air. As our seasons change. . .may you welcome
the coming of Fall with renewed hope.

Until next time. . .

On Crooked Creek is linking to Tablescape Thursday hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. Stop by and visit all the Autumn inspired tablescapes.

http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Martha said...

A very pretty tablescape --- you need to link this post on Thursday (Wed eve actually) with Susan at Betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com -- it's perfect for Thursday Tablescapes!

Barb said...

Hi Pat, just gorgeous!

I sent you an email about the permalinks. If you have ANY trouble, I'm right here. :-)

Barb

podso said...

Your table setting is lovely and very fall looking. I have a very similar table--we just reduced its size and moved it into the kitchen. Love those old oak tables!

Debbie said...

Not only was the end result REALLY lovely, warm, and autumnal, but I enjoyed watching the layers as you set the table. It sort of unfolded before my eyes. Liked that!!

Signing Out said...

I love this...so pretty! I love the dishes, napkins and placemats, and of course, the sunflowers! Great table, too.

xinex said...

I love it, it's fabulous!...Christine

Lynn said...

Beautiful warm colors, what a welcoming table! I hope you'll consider joining the Barnyard Bash with this setting and your cute little squirrel!

Barbara said...

What a pretty table! I love your dinnerware. This is such a cozy, inviting spot.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your tablescape is lovely as is your background paper. Love it, love sunflowers!!