The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

It's Crunchy, Munchy Chili Time!

Every year when September rolls along. . .
it's Crunchy, Munchy Chili time!

"Mr. Ed" and I look forward to cooler temperatures, time together before his busy season, and the beginning of our Annual Trout Fishing Trip to Bennett Spring State Park.
So. . .when the calendar turns over, the first thing Ed looks at when he comes home is the dining room table and then the Menu board to see what "gourmet treat" is in store.




Although our dining room table can easily seat four, most times I set an intimate table for"just the two of us". Spring and Fall we like to set together instead of across from one another. We both have a great view of the deck and the back yard.


Tonight we're going very casual. Instead of place mats, I simply used an extra napkin folded in half and draped over the edge of the table about five inches.




Casual dining? ? ? . . . the addition of the salad fork will be used for dessert tonight. Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake from Martha White!



Ed and I found this while out grocery shopping this past weekend. I love the ease of Martha White Muffin  Mixes. . .so thought we'd give this a try.



Easy enough ~ 2/3 cups water, 1 egg, 1 Tbsp. oil . . .



oops. . . there's the egg!
Cake mix and streusel mix in the box. Stir by hand.

Bake for 30 ~ 33 minutes in a 375 degree oven. M~m~m the whole upstairs smells yummy!



Add salt and pepper shakers to the table, bowl of Fritos and shredded cheese, iced tea for him, water for me.






AND. . .
there you have it. . .Crunchy, Munchy Chili served up piping hot!



Embellished with shredded cheese and Fritos!



Dear Lord,
We accept this meal as your gift,
May we partake of it's bountiful blessing
and nourishment to our bodies;
Open our senses to it's goodness;
May it give us strength to go forward to serve you.
Amen


Crunchy, Munchy Chili Recipe:
2 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 46 oz. can of Tomato Juice
1 10 oz. can of (Mild) Rotel
1 15.5 oz. can of Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 14.5 oz. can of Diced Tomatoes
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. butter
Sea Salt (to taste)
Coarse Ground Pepper (to taste)
Small bag Fritos Corn Chips
1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese, shredded

In a large skillet brown and drain hamburger; set aside.
In the meantime; melt butter in a dutch oven . (6 to 8 quart size)
Add onion, garlic, celery and saute 2 - 3 minutes on med. high to high heat. Add browned hamburger, chili powder, sea salt and coarse ground black pepper. Pour in tomato juice, diced tomatoes, rotel and kidney beans. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over med. high heat. Simmer on low to med. high heat 20 - 30 minutes.

Spoon into bowls.
Garnish with cheese and Fritos corn chips.
Serve piping hot!
Enjoy!
Makes 6 - 8 servings.

As my nephew, in the days of his youth, would say. . .
"All this and dessert, too!"
. . . and it was good!



Until next time. . .

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chili is mine and hubby's favorite,your tablescape is so cozy,and just for two is ALWAYS the way to go round LazyonLoblolly.

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot,your Foodies look so good!Wish I had some blueberry Streusel.,And your blessing was not forgotten,we are truely blessed,and we should ALWAYS thank the good Lord.Thanks for the reminder,love your blog.

Miss Merry said...

What a wonderful table! I love that you can sit by each and enjoy the view. Your recipes sound so delicious and perfect for fall. What a pretty view and what a pretty view. I love the cabinet that I am getting a glimpse of on your left. Very nice!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh we just had chili a couple of nights ago. Your recipe sounds wonderful. Your table looks fabulous too.
Thanks so much for your gracious comments and your visits to my blog. I am so happy to meet you and I will definitely be back.
You asked about my bunny picture. I bought it on line at a site call Allposters.com. It was only about $5. I put it in a frame I already had. I do love it and it is really cute in person. They have some lovely prints at really reasonable prices. Hope you can find one. Hugs, Marty

Entertaining Women said...

It's always a special treat to come across a real love story...like Mr. Ed and you. Your table is perfect, and I can hardly wait to make the Crunchy Munchy Chili. Thank you for the recipe and for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh now, this looks yummy! It'd still a little too hot here for chili, but soon! :-) Lovely tablescape, too! Hello to Maurice from my feline staff! Have a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Tricia said...

What a gorgeous tablesetting! Those pretty bowls look great set on the napkins-as-placemats. I'm definitely going to copy that idea soon!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

We love chili when the weather cools down -- this looks yummy! Love your pretty autumn table and your pretty sunflowers. And the cute little table squirrel too.

Tea in Texas said...

I love the tablescape and your husband is so fortunate to have you prepare this wonderful recipe. I am afraid I just heat a can of Wolf brand chili, add the Fritos to a bowl and some grated cheese on top of the chili. We call this Frito Pie. Your recipe is a wonderful one and my husband would love your chili. This is making me so hungry just thinking about your chili!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Love both of your great fall tablescapes.
They are both very pretty and welcoming.
The chili sounds wonderful and the blueberry
streusel as well.
Have a lovely week,
Blessings, Nellie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, what a lovely table you've set. Now your chili sounds so good. I love chili. Now I made a cheaters version of your chili dish and call it Frito Pie! Fritoes, cheese and a can of Wolf chili! :) Probably not as good as yours but it will do in a pinch.
Thank you for your visit and your suggestions! I know I need to so something else over the sofa is just looks a little vacant and flat! :)
Hope you'll pop back in some times.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were so new to Blogland, but welcome! Oh, I'm thrilled that you'll be coming to my Heart of the Home Party!
It should be fun and I'll be looking forward to seeing your kitchen and I'm your newest follower! :)
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Unknown said...

What a yummy dinner! :) I love chili and Fritos! :) In our house we call this Frito pie.

Did you safe me a bowl?

~Liz