The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Warming Up For Winter. . .


Warming up with vibrant hues of
cranberries, oranges, golds, khakiand sage for winter. We have been facing frigid temperatures even for the prairie this Season . Many days have had single digit and night time we have been minus double digits! B~r~r. . .now that's cold!




My dear hubby, "Mr. Ed" works for K. D. O. T. and this Season is the Night Supervisor for the metro ~ area of Wichita. While most of us are tucked away all snug in our beds, "Mr. Ed" is working 12 ~ 14 hour shifts in these frigid temperatures. So . . . I'm using warm vibrant hues to give the optical illusion of warmth to our home On Crooked Creek.





The underlying layer is a rectangular plaid tablecloth found during our Annual Trout Fishing Trip to Bennett Spring State Park this Fall. A great bargain find for only $8.00 which also included a 54" table runner! A generous cut of 52" X 90" gives a beautiful drape on two sides. I removed two chairs to the lower level to increase the intimate feel of our dining area.



Simply stated layering continues with my orange scalloped place mats. Dainty gold, khaki, and sage floral patterned nosegays are scattered generously throughout the quilted top. White dinner plates are being used as chargers, followed by my favorite sage dinner plates and topped with a white embossed salad. The finishing touch is a single faux pear.


Matching cloth napkins are fanned to expose the underlying paisley side with those same vibrant hues and held in place with warm brown wooden napkin rings. Everyday Oneida beaded stainless steel flatware graces each place setting. Clear bubble stemware for water goblets and white floral vases hold faux Columbines to complete the cozy settings.



To continue with simplistic dining, I chose an heirloom cream colored McCoy bowl filled with faux golden pears. Layered atop an I. Godinger & Co. cream color salad with scalloped and fretwork edging gives the resemblance of a still life painting.  Keeping the centerpiece low allows for free flowing conversation.



While we are experiencing yet another expected 10 ~ 13 inches of snow on the prairie, "Mr. Ed" is attending to much deserved sleep. For now . . . he's warm, safe and resting. In a few short hours, Ill have to wake him to face the forces of Mother Nature. After our evening meal at 6 o'clock, he'll dress hurriedly into numerous layers to protect him from the cold, fill his thermoses, and head off into the darkness to plow the metro highways and interstates. Truly, a dedicated, Highway Man!



All the while, I'll be snug at home On Crooked Creek keeping the home fires burning and saying a prayer for his safety and for those who must face the elements of the Season. Another prayer that all of you in blog land will be safe and warming up for winter. . .



Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek is joining our hostess Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch  for Tablescape Thursday. Be sure to stop by and see all the lovely tables the blog land ladies have prepared for your viewing pleasure!

17 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love your china cabinet!

Unknown said...

Your china is lovely ... very warm table setting.

TTFN ~
Marydon

GIVEAWAY ends 2/11

Rebecca said...

I can't trace my path to Crooked Creek, but here I am - just in time to read of the next storm coming in. Our daughter and her family live in McPherson, so I assume they'll be getting it,too. Me? Born in Hutchinson on a family farm in Sterling. We moved away when I was five, but I returned to finish college in Sterling where I met my husband. He taught in Norton (NW) and got his masters degree at Fort Hays KSU. Small world. I ♥ any/every Kansas connection I make.

On Crooked Creek said...

Ann,
Dear Ann, I can't leave a comment on your blog. I've tried several times before. . .frustrating on my part. Thanks for your visit On Crooked Creek today. The cabinet will be featured in my next Table Top Tuesday with Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life.
Fondly,
Pat

Martha said...

Your home does look warm! The winter has not been a kind one on the prairie!

Marigene said...

Hi, Pat...your table is so warm and welcoming. I love the greens and oranges...gorgeous tablecloth. My turn...where did you find those great placemats? Big Dollar by any chance?
I think Mr. Ed is going to be busy for the next few days pushing that white stuff around!

Phyllis said...

Your table setting makes me feel warm and contented. It is very inviting to see. I think it is the choice of your colors that are so soothing. Thanks for sharing the thermos preparation for your husband. Since we are both retired, I sometimes forget that all people are not retired....LOL...and I wish him safety and warmth in this frigid weather. May the sun shine soon.

Marlis said...

This table looks so inviting. Love the tablecloth and the placemats go so well with it too.

bj said...

hmmm, I just lost my comment. Bummer..
OK..
Your table is indeed warm and friendly and beautiful.
You have such a sweet flow of words..I always feel welcome and content here.
Mr. Ed looks forward to coming home each morning, I am sure.
Bless his heart..I know he will be thankful to have this harsh winter behind him.
hugs, bj

Kathleen said...

Very pretty! And thanks to dh and those like him in all our towns who clear our snow. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

I am all for warming up winter Pat. Your table is lovely.

Jacqueline said...

Oh Pat, how we appreciate our highway men! Tell him thanks from all of us. We had a lovely day today, probably mid 30s but sunny, so I got out and cleaned the garage (with gloves on) and washed the car (with boots on) and that felt good to get a little winter grime off.

What a gorgeous table linen. The colors are just fabulous. It does feel nice to set such a warm table, I might be tempted to wrap up in that - it looks so cozy.

The Tablescaper said...

Such warm and inviting colors.

- The Tablescaper

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

What a lovely warm table you have set to help Mr Ed escape the cold for a few hours...I will keep him in my prayers, as I will you also.

Thank you for stopping by both blogs and sharing such a fond memory.

Blessings Kelsie

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

You have set a warm and inviting table. Even though I don't live in your neck of the woods, I sure am grateful for all the Mr. Ed's out there keeping our streets clear for travel. Give him a hug!

Janean said...

pat, you're a wonderful hostess to have the centerpiece low. dinner with someone other than yourself should have lots of great conversation!!!

we're starting to thaw out....barely. :)

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

That IS a delightful, warm setting! I love the colors! Mr. Ed is a dedicated worker, I don't know how people who work out in the weather do it. God bless them all! XO, Pinky