The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Traditional China Cabinet ~

The time of year has come to begin planning for Autumn's Arrival On Crooked Creek. This year the festivities will be in abundance. Taking advantage of the cooler temperatures combined with the "extra" day off  during Labor Day weekend; the China Cabinet, once again, took on a Traditional style. In keeping with my softer side of Autumn, I added a few vintage elements to enhance my Classic Rose China.

Let's take a peek through the glass doors shall we?













Here's a look at the completed transformation with the glass doors opened!


Although only six dinner plates are shown, I have a complete set for eight. Additional pieces were purchased to allow for breakage; however since my MoMa purchased the set in the 50's. . . none have been broken!


I adore the plate rack at the back of each shelf! The middle plate is placed last to give a dimensional effect.



Each placement of additional pieces becomes a Science. If not properly placed, the doors won't close. Forcing a door shut could have disastrous results!





You might be wondering why I've placed a jar candle lid in the China Cabinet? It's a secret of mine. Look closely On Crooked Creek and you'll find them cleverly disguised. They make the best risers!!!

See ~


By placing the saucer atop the candle lid, you can now see the cups and saucers above the wood rim of the cabinet door!



Those pink roses nearly take my breath away and are a reminder to "Mr. Ed" and I that pink roses were the flower of choice at our wedding! Don't you just adore those pink rosebuds inside the cup?

 


Stacked neatly atop one another are the dessert/salad plates, bread plates and soup bowls.


After checking multiple times to ensure that the cabinet doors will close nicely, I felt the overall effect was a bit too formal for my French Country Kitchen/ Traditional Dining Room. Perhaps a touch of Romantic Country with a bit of Traditional fruit added for softness.


Adding my Vintage Buttons and Bows pitcher, creamer and lidded sugar bowl brings an air of romance to the formal setting and gives greater visual appeal.



In keeping with the softer side of Autumn hues, I included my singular, pink depression, glass plate and bowl. These are plain, octagon shaped glassware with delicate, rectangular, glass handles. I am always on the look~out for them at Antique Shops and Flea Markets!






The opposite side showcases my petite, pink, Fostoria creamer and sugar bowl. They are just the essence of sweetness!


Giving added height and allowing the eyes to lift naturally is accomplished by placing these celebratory champagne flutes amidst the Classic Rose China. "Mr. Ed's" is inscribed with Best Man, mine simply states Pat. These are a special keepsake of a friend's wedding where "Mr.Ed" served as Best Man.



Orchestrating this softer side of Autumn On Crooked Creek has helped me to make a smooth transition from end of Summer to Autumn's Arrival.


From Going Green in the China Cabinet. . .



to a Traditional China Cabinet. . .



On Crooked Creek . . .
                                           
                                          Seasons change
                                                                          
                                                                          . . .and so does our home decor!


Until next time. . .




http://www.betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

On Crooked Creek is joining our gracious hostess, Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday! Be sure to visit and see all the creative and inspiring makeovers in the Land of Blog!

16 comments:

Martha said...

I like what you did with your china cabinet -- but then I always like everything you do with your china cabinet!!!

Babs said...

Your softer side of Autumn look is pretty and so unexpected. I like your use of candle holders for risers. I'm always looking for new things to elevate a display.
Has the weather started being cooler yet in KS?
Have a good weekend,
Babs

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

What an amazing transformation...I love the new softer look, pink is always a winner in my book...Love your clever risers too.

Blessings Kelsie

Anonymous said...

Pat now aren't you just so clever!! Using little risers---- why hadn't I ever though of this!! Thank you so much for the tip!

Your china closet looks great- I do so love pink glassware!

bee blessed
mary

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love the way you fixed your china cabinet! the risers idea is so smart, thanks for the tip! I love the soft look it has now and with the pink glassware, great touch! Hugs, FABBY

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such pretty dishes! And the tip...that's a great idea!!!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

How pretty, Pat! You certainly captured a soft side for sure. I love the addition of your pink depression glass!
Thank you dear friend for your sweet comments!
Yvonne

Susanne said...

That quite a change from green to pale pretty pink - just lovely.

bj said...

Very pretty, Pat. I've always loved those dishes.
Your tip on the riser is perfect. I wish I had the killzillion I've thrown away. I'll sure be saving them now. Just last night, I was looking for a riser to put under a plant...I ended up with a brick. :))
xo bj

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Hi Pat,

Your floral china looks lovely! I LOVE the pink glassware as well. So very pretty!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Your china cabinet looks wonderful. The dishes are so dainty and delicate looking! Love the pink depression glass too! Love it all.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Ellen said...

Oh what pretties everywhere, and so clever are you to save the candle lids for use. I love the octagon pink depression dishes, they are beautiful. So very pretty.
Hugs,
Ellen

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How pretty, Pat! I collect the same pattern of pink depression glass! Love it! Thanks so much for your sweet comments and for entering my Annie Sloan giveaway! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

podso said...

Pat I just love the way you present a post. The way you write and describe things. My goodness--the glass jar lid--so clever! And the way you do a dimensional effect with your standing up plates! I have some new ideas for my china cabinet. Lastly maybe I've said this before, I have that exact depression glass bowl and one just a bit deeper but similar size. I have many pieces from my grandmother and they are all different! I wonder if other bowls broke or just how this single lady came to be just single!

Jacqueline said...

Truly softer and so pretty. I love the roses and the pretty glassware. I haven't moved on to Fall yet, going kicking and screaming!

labbie1 said...

great idea using the candle jar lids for risers! I take the plastic piece off and turn them over to use as a holder for tealights. They spread the light and keep everything cool and safe. :) I like YOUR idea though!