The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

What's On The Menu? 8

Since the weather has turned to cooler temperatures here on the Prairie. . .I've been craving something cooked with apples!

What's On The Menu??? 8


On Crooked Creek it's . . .              
                                                    Pork Chops and Apples!!!



A few years ago, I purchased this collection of Savory Slow~Cooker Recipes, I have used several with delicious results. Today's choice was Pork Chops and Apples! Perfect for a busy work day On Crooked Creek.

My Rival Crock Pot is nearing 25 years old. I don't trust to leave it on unless I'm home.
So~o~o. . .the crock pot gets used mostly during the weekends when "Mr. Ed" and I have a full day of chores to accomplish!





Pork Chops and Apples

Ingredients:

4 pork loin chops, well trimmed
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt
pepper

Directions:

In skillet, brown pork chops quickly: drain well.
Arrange a layer of sliced apples in slow cooker,
then a layer of pork chops; repeat.
Dot with butter, sprinkle with nutmeg.
Add salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low setting for 7 ~ 9 hours.

Makes 4 servings.




As you can see by the photo. . .I like to adapt a recipe. . .
I put one apple sliced on the bottom of the slow cooker, salt, pepper, nutmeg and butter!



Followed by two layers of the browned pork chops.


Then topped off with the second apple slices, more salt, pepper, nutmeg and butter!


I start my crock pot recipes on high setting for the first hour, then turned it down to low for the remainder of the suggested cooking time.



As you can see . . .they look delicious!!!


I served our Pork Chops and Apples with seasoned bow tie pasta. After a busy work day On Crooked Creek this was a meal fit for royalty!

Until next time. . .





http://www.stonegable.blogspot.com/

On Crooked Creek is joining our gracious hostess Yvonne @ StoneGable for On The Menu Monday! I have used many of the recipes, tips and food staging inspirations from this weekly meme. Stop by and be inspired to have some wonderful meals to share with your family, as well!

11 comments:

podso said...

It's amazing how the cooler weather brings a desire for certain foods. We rarely have pork chops, but this is making me yearn for them and I'm sure hubby would be just thrilled to partake in such a meal! Hope you're having a good weekend!

Martha said...

Looks like a good dish for this rainy Saturday! We love pork chops!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I ahve that same crock pot!!!!!!!! I didn't realize how OLD it is:):) These chops sound wonderful and I will make them too. Like the idea of the bow ties as the side dish too! Thanks!!!! XO, Pinky

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Pat, aren't we lucky someone invented the good old crock pot? Ours is used quite often for a variety of delicious meals. Your apples and pork sounds very good. We had cooked apples for lunch today and they were good, also.
Shannon

Babs said...

OMGosh Pat. Can you believe I have that same Crock Pot? I've had mine so long I don't remember when I got it. I'm saving your recipe to make later this week. I've never done pork chops in the crock pot. Love pork and apples. Yum,
Thanks for sharing your recipe. Have a great week,
Babs

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, I love the way you write. It is so calming, friendly and compelling! I just want to make everything you write about!
Thanks for this yummy fall recipe! Many of us are so busy this time of year, so a slow cooker dinner is the perfect choice... and your's sounds scrumptious!
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

HI Pat! Oh, this sounds and looks so delicious! I just love to use my crock pot and I do believe I'm going to copy your recipe! :)
Thanks for all your sweet words on my blog! I really appreciate your visits
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

bj said...

O, yummy, Pat. This sounds sooo good. I LOVE pork chops and I love apples. We often have appleSAUCE with our pork but have never cooked them all together, using apple slices. Gonna have to try it soon.

We have had about 3 little rains..nothing to break our drought but each drop has been most welcomed. :)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Pat,
Nothing says fall more than Pork Chops and Apples. Your recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!
Miz Helen

labbie1 said...

Yum! I think I will have to try that recipe! Looks great!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

That sounds COMPLETELY delicious! I love pork and apple anything! So please count me in - I'm coming on over!!!

Sarahx