The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Affair of the Heart. . .

On Crooked Creek is joining 
Thursday's Inspirations!

Mary is hosting a new weekly meme 
to share her magnificent photography 
and to inspire those of us in The Land of Blog to join her. 

Each week, Mary will choose a different theme 
for Thursday's Inspirations! 

Be sure to visit Mary @ Little Red House
 and feast your eyes upon her amazing talent 
and creativity from behind the lens of her camera.

Spending the past ten years On Crooked Creek has evolved into an Affair of the Heart. . .for me, it wasn't love at first sight.


Handmade lace heart is a recent purchase from Roadhouse Antiques.Features vintage buttons, lace, miniature locket, and pearls.

Although, I desperately wanted to be closer to our son and daughter~in~law. . .I was heart~broken at leaving the "dream house" behind. The house that "Mr. Ed" and I  designed.


Handmade crazy quilt heart from Roadhouse Antiques. This miniature heart features vintage lace and a creamy satin rosebud.

Ours was, truly, unique. The "dream house"  was designed through correspondence while "Mr. Ed" was serving his last unaccompanied tour of duty in Korea.


The final handmade lace heart purchased from Roadhouse Antiques.  The handiwork of each of these with buttons, bows, lace and seed pearls is just amazing!

Arriving On Crooked Creek was not for the faint of heart. Years of neglect, a "flip house" for profit, yet ~ it was a "house with good bones". Our 1970's Ranch Style house lacked romance and character. These are the qualities "Mr. Ed" and I have worked diligently to instill over the past ten years.


Notice all the details of this lovely handmade heart. This locket is similar to one that I have  belonging  to my maternal grandmother.



I adore all the pearls used in this handmade lace heart. Pearls are what "Mr.Ed" brought me from Korea when he returned home.



Together, we had a vision of the home this house could become. With perseverance, limited knowledge, determination and hard work. . .On Crooked Creek has become an Affair of the Heart.



I adore the hand embroidery of this piece and the uniqueness of its palette.



Satin and velvets combined with creamy ivory lace and ribbon are such charming characteristics of this miniature handmade heart.

The above photos are taken from the re~arrangement of the entertainment center On Crooked Creek. It is my hope that you will return for the reveal in its entirety.


Until next time . . .



www.commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com

On Crooked Creek is joining in the Vintage Valentine Party @ Vintage Inspiration Friday with hostess Debra from Common Ground! If you love all things vintage...this is a must see post!

12 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh your home is lovely and you can tell is is loved. Can't wait to see the reveal. Hugs, Marty

Babs said...

Pat, The little hearts are gorgeous. I especially love the little brown one. Looking forward to seeing your re-do of your entertainment center. Isn't it fun changing things around?
Have a great Sunday,
Babs

podso said...

It takes awhile to get a house the way you like it, especially if you don't start by making it yourself. But then your creativity can shine through and you can take your time to make it just the way you want! It sounds like your house has had a lot of tender loving care!

Marigene said...

Nice collection of handmade hearts...the brown one is gorgeous.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Pat...this is such a sweet post!
Love all the hearts and I'll be back for the reveal!

bj said...

I can so relate to your story here today.
We bought the cutest, most loved Cape Cod, 2 story house many years ago. It was so my dream house...so much charm and character built right into it. A lot of my dreams came true when we purchased this little gem.
Then, things happened...Mr. Sweet's company went bankrupt...he was forced to hunt a job for the first time since college. God smiled on us and a wonderful job turned up for Mr. Sweet....but we had to move. At first, I bawled my eyes out, having to leave my dream house. Then, one morning, God spoke to me before I ever woke up. HE told me to be thankful for what HE had sent us and that ole house was only a stepping stone to a more relaxed way of life for Mr. Sweet.
After that, I never looked back. Our home is a plain, vanilla builders house with nothing special added. We, like you, have spent years, making this cottage have a little more charm.

labbie1 said...

Those hearts are gorgeous! I really like the crazy quilt one! Such a pretty way to use scraps to make something beautiful!

Can't wait to see the reveal! :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

So happy that you have turned your home into the stuff that dreams are made of....it is apparent that it is full of love....

And I LOVE those hearts!!! Do they sell online? Beautiful! I will be back for the reveal!

Lou Cinda :)

Unknown said...

Love the hearts! Lovely home! Thanks for sharing Joann

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post. I love the photography, and the story is very touching.

Vee said...

These handmade hearts are so beautiful, but more beautiful still is your story of leaving a beloved home behind to create a new beloved home where you are. I really enjoyed that a lot.

Mary said...

Oh what a sweet story, and a wonderful post! Thanks so much for sharing your heart and home at Thursday's Inspiration. xoxo