The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shopping The House...

Shopping the house just became much more convenient On Crooked Creek. . . come on over an see this amazing guest room closet make over I've been visualizing for years!!! Still a work~in~progress!


For years, I've been asking "Mr. Ed" to help me do a re~arrange of the guest room closet. I recently worked for an antiques,  home decor and gift shop and made some rather nice purchases with my employee discountHoweverall of those gorgeous decor items were always located on the lower level in plastic tubs. So~o~o. . . whenever I was re~arranging seasonal vignettes, I had to make numerous trips up and down the stairs. Now, I can make a short trip down the hall way and shop the house!!!



Let's begin with the top shelf and work our way down, shall we? Being 5 ft. 2. . . I'm continually climbing on a two~step ladder On Crooked Creek to reach the shelves that most of you have no difficulty accessing. Most of the time I put items in this height range that I will seldom use.

Here's the before of that top shelf. . .



The top shelf containing stuffed bears, seasonal blankets and clothing stored in cardboard boxes. Stacked atop of those boxes were the seasonal pillows that change with the seasons On Crooked Creek.

Now for the top shelf after . . .




Those seasonal pillows and throws are easily within my arm, hand and tip~toe reach! Beyond them on the right are two seasonal clothing boxes stacked one on top of the other.  The box on the left holds vintage  chenille bedspreads. When the time comes for change, I'll call on "Mr.Ed" the resident handyman!

Now it's time for the hanging clothing on the left side of the closet. This is where I hang those items fresh from the laundry until sufficient time for ironing!  Yeah, right. Amazing how all those blouses and shirts fit into the Master Bedroom closet. . .ironed or not!

Before hanging space . . .


Finally, the vision I had of hanging those seasonal runners and tablecloths On Crooked Creek! Does anyone have any idea how wonderful it is to see~at~a~glance and locate the needed items for setting a lovely table? Oh, how marvelous this is!!!

Hanging shelf space after . . .




The hanging clothing on the right side of the closet is my newer seasonal clothing . The plan this next year is to really get through those boxes and donate apparel I no longer wear! In time, those boxes will disappear!

Again, the before . . .


I am now able to organize my Miche purse shells where I can easily access the cover change to co~ordinate with my wardrobe. 

The visionary after . . .



Economically speaking, I didn't spend a dime on the storage solution components for the housing of the home decor items. Some of these were already in this closet. . . the others were brought in, empty, from the Master Bedroom closet! My only cost was the man (and woman) power to lug them from one room to the next! Ladies, that "Mr. Ed" is a keeper!!!

Empty storage components. . .





Configuring all the components, basically trial~and~error, until we achieved the necessary proper arrangement to store the home decor accessories.  The flow of the shelves allows me to get a treasured Garden at Vetheuil 1881 Claude Monet print up off the floor and onto the wall until needed!!!

Filled component storage. . .


 








The bottom, or floor space, of the closet was filled with extra chandelier and lamp shades, a lonely lamp, my MoMa's cedar chest and seasonal shoe storage boxes.

Floor before. . .






The patio chair cushions have already been packed away due to our continued triple digit heat. The yoga mat is ready for quick  availability with the upcoming Fall session!

Floor after . . .





Years in the thought process. One afternoon of re~arranging. Seeing this when you open the double bi~fold doors of the guest room closet. A vision come to view!



Shopping the House. . .On Crooked Creek!


Until next time. . .

9 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Pat, I want mine to look like this. How wonderful. I can't even imagine, but I would love to have the same thing. Maybe a good winter project. Hugs, Marty

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Well, Pat, I have to admit that I was also shopping your house! lol I love what you have done! Now I need to redo my own...including some things that need to go back to Goodwill for someone else to love! Thanks for sharing!...hugs...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! You've really thought everything out and your closet looks amazing! Love all of your storage and how you've arranged it! Wish I had an extra closet so I could have a shop the house space! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, can you come and do this to... about... 20 of my closets?
I just need a little direction.
I am jumping up and down with happiness for you! How good you must feel to have such a well managed, purposeful and BEAUTIFUL storage area!
You should write a book! No seriously, if you can organize that well...others need to learn all your secrets. OR how about a series of posts on organizing and really break it down!
You have inspired me. Blogging has helped me become so disorganized!!!!!
HELP!
Yvonne

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Wonderful re-organization! However, I think those beautiful lanterns look a bit too squished in there so why don't you send them my way??!! Actually, everything is perfectly arranged and accessible. You've inspired me to do the same to one of my "decor" closets! Thanks for sharing!

DD

Babs said...

Hey Pat, come on over, I have several closets that need a makeover. Wouldn't it be fun to have a blog yard sale? Everyone could buy from each other's no longer wanted items and all we'd have to pay is postage. Thanks for sharing your organizing tips.
Have a great week,
Babs

Gail said...

You're a clever woman,putting all your seasonal items in one place. That way, as you pull out fall, that opens shelves for summer to go in and so on.
Terrific job.

labbie1 said...

Hi! I just came over from Between Naps on the Porch and I LOVE what you and Mr. Ed did with the closet! Great job and so nice. I would be running to the room to fling the doors open all day just to admire the results! Excellent!

labbie1 said...

PS LOVE the sunflowers!