The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Sunflowers In The Entry!

I live in Kansas.
I was born in Kansas.
I was reared in Kansas.
I was wed in Kansas.
. . . and when I die. . . please Lord, let it too, be in Kansas.


My favorite flower ~ is the Sunflower.
                                  Kansas State Flower.



Each year, On Crooked Creek, as soon as the stalks in "Mr. Ed's" Sunflower Patch begin to head ~ Sunflowers emerge profoundly throughout our Ranch Style home decor.


 A large faux Sunflower swag adorns the top of  the vintage hat rack as you enter On Crooked Creek. I commissioned a local artist in South East Kansas to paint Sunflowers on the mirror gifted to me by a dear friend.


I adore the rustic charm of the berries, burnished leaves and the curly twigs intermingled with the brown, gold and olive green hued ribbon.


This whimsical pair of wooden pedestal Sunflowers don rustic tin heads and raffia bows. The Mayer China EST. 1881 restaurant bowl makes an unusual accessory to hold a ring of vintage keys.



This windmill oil painting repeating the Sunflower swag hues is very dear to "Mr. Ed" and I. The artist is the mother of one of "Mr.Ed's" classmates. Signed F  McQuitty.( the F faces to the left ~ not the right as the font here shows.)



This simple, ruffled, linen table runner was made by April Turner of The Added Touch. April is the daughter of Debbie Futhey @ Memories of Home. One of my favorite local unique home decor shops.


All throughout the  month of  August I'll be highlighting the Sunflowers indoors ~ and ~ outdoors On Crooked Creek. The Sunflowers on the sidebar are those grown in our Sunflower Patch by the Master Gardener, "Mr. Ed". You can view this season's bountiful Sunflowers in Welcome to Our Patch http://oncrookedcreekct.blogspot.com/2011/07/welcome-to-our-patch.html.

Kansas
       Sunflowers
                 On Crooked Creek. . . life is good!


Until next time. . .



On Crooked Creek is joining our dear hostess Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday!Inspiration abounds throughout blog land and some of the best talents will be showcased @ Marty's.

19 comments:

Pat@BPM said...

Beautiful sunflower post Pat! I love sunflowers!

Laina said...

Love love love the sunflowers, one of my favorites too Pat! Always enjoy your blogs :)

Babs said...

Love your sunflowers. They are so much fun and welcoming in your entry. They really add a special touch to your mirror.
Thanks for visiting.
Babs

Martha said...

I lover your sunflowers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! I love your sunflowers too! They are just a happy flower! Love all your displays.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sandra said...

Pretty pretty! I love decorating my garland outside with sunflowers. :) Love the way you decorate too.
Sandra

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love sunflowers this time of year and your table looks great!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Pat, I absolutely love sunflowers, so this is perfect. I love your vignette and the mirror, windmill and everything you've put together is so pretty. Sunflowers are so bright, cheery and happy. Gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Melissa Miller said...

Kansas is a great state. My Dad is from KC. Love it.

Beautiful entryway! :)

Unknown said...

Love your sunflowers.It all makes me wish I was in Kansas.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Kansas City.. Kansas City here I come.....trala,la,la...and I'm gonna... get me one!! Remember, Fats Domino?! I love the state flower, I didn't know! Really pretty. Thank you for coming by and for the lovely comment you left me. Lots of hugs, FABBY

Marigene said...

I love sunflowers, too. I noticed they are starting to make their appearance along the roadsides...my favorite time of the year!

JudyBug said...

Love your sunflowers! I just bought HUGE sunflowers at Hobby Lobby to make a front door wreath.

podso said...

Pat I think it's so cool the way you surround yourself with sunflowers inside your house while they are blooming in the garden (I think you said you could not have them inside due to allergies.) It makes it seem as if you have just fresh picked them from the garden! I have never made stuffed peppers even though the Gardner loves them --it's just never been on my radar screen. Yours look delicious! And I noticed the sunflowers on your apron!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! I'm back to say how much I appreciate your visits and your sweet comments! Thanks alswys for popping in to see me.
You are a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh your sunflowers are just so happy.. they put a smile on anyone's face...folks around here have grown them like crazy in the past, I don't recall seeing any this year... hugs ~lynne~

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Pat, you have used your sunflowers in very creative ways. The mirror is pretty as well as the little arrangement on the table. The wreath for our front door has sunflowers on it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Shannon

bj said...

O, I love sunflowers, too.
When my boy was little, we lived next door to an open field, filled with sunflowers. We didn't know what was causing him such allergies...until he was tested. Sunflowers were at the top of the list....along with most trees. So, we never had sunflowers nor a real Christmas tree.
Enjoy your flowers.
xo bj

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

I love this...So perfectly you, with your sunny disposition.

Blessings Kelsie