The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

What's On The Menu? 5

Just another hot, sweltering day on the Prairie. . .

So~o~o. . .I baked some cookies!

One of my most enjoyable magazines is Tea Time magazine. While browsing the January / February 2011 edition, I came across a recipe for cashew cookies. I crave anything with cashews! ! !


"Mr. Ed" just likes nuts!


All the required ingredients are, basically, those in every household pantry.



Cashew Cookies

3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup finely chopped cashews
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg, beating well. Add vanilla extract, beating to combine. set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until combined. Add cashews, oats and chocolate chips, beating to combine.
  • Using a 1 ~inch spring loaded scoop, scoop dough into portions. Using hands, roll portions into balls.
  • Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake until edges are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
  • let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
  • Store in airtight container.
 . . . and, yes, it makes 2 dozen cookies!


. . . 2 dozen cashew cookies! Exactly!!!


M~m~m~. . .


what better way to chase away a  hot, sweltering day on the Prairie than Cashew Cookies Under Glass?


Chasing away. . .



sweltering days. . .



. . .on the prairie!


Won't you join me dear???


Until next time. . .



On Crooked Creek is joining our sweet hostess Yvonne @ StoneGable for On The Menu Monday! Be sure to visit for menus, recipes, tips and inspiration for your family's meals!!!

11 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Yummy, Pat! I am sending this to my daughter. She's a huge fan of cashews, too! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Lynn said...

Gorgeous! I keep saying over and over, I really need to make some cookies... you've just convinced me:@)

Babs said...

Pat, I can't believe you turned on the oven in all that heat, but those cashew cookies look soooo yummy. Thanks for stopping by. Let me know how you like the spinach quesadillas.
Hugs,
Babs

Mary said...

These sound delicious & look beautiful presented under your cloche!

Barbara F. said...

Sometimes a gal has to do what a gal has to do, even if it's baking up a batch of delicious cookies in a heat wave! I can't wait to try these, I love cashews. Visiting from Yvonne's On the Menu Monday. xo,

Martha said...

Those look good -- thought about making cookies today but little projects won out and never got into the kitchen to do that.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

You had me at CASHEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh how we BOTH love them!!!! I will HAVE to make these cookies for sure!!! Thank you! Oh, and my head is much better! XO, Pinky

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Yummy! Your cookies look wonderful and who doesn't like these nuts! I get that magazine too and somehow missed this recipe! I'm copying yours now!
See you at the party! I'm getting so excited.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

bj said...

ummm, I do love Cashews...and I can just imagine how delicious they are in cookies.
Thanks so much for the recipe..I baked today, too...early this morning before it got so hot.
xoxo bj

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, these are such pretty cookies, and I just LOVE that these cookies are made with ingredients that can most often be found in our pantries~!
You are such a darling and a wonderful faithful friend to StoneGable and to ON THE MENU MONDAY~ Thanks for the help spreading the word~
Yvonne

Miz Helen said...

Hi Pat,
I just love Cashews and your Cashew Cookie looks delicious. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!
Miz Helen