The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

. . .The Stockings Were Hung!

Oh, my goodness!!!
I just made my first e v e r Christmas Stockings. . .
and I am lovin' the way each one turned out!


This St. Nick Stocking pattern
is from page 42 and 43 of Better Homes and Gardens
Christmas All Through The House!


Each finished stocking measures
14 1/2 " X 7 1/2 " .


I cut the stockings from a ecru linen dishtowel
with red stripes purchased early in the Spring
at our local Antique Mall for less than $4 !



At the same Antique Mall,
during Thanksgiving weekend,
I found the hand crocheted lace for $1 each.


I hand stitched vintage,
creamy ivory buttons for accent 
then tied with red and gold ribbon.


Using another $1 doily
purchased during vacation at Heartland Antique Mall
in Lebanon, Mo., I completed stocking #3.


Then. . .
I had a dilemma!
Not enough crocheted lace to complete stocking #4.
A quick trip to our local Antique Shop Roadhouse Antiques
and now the stockings are complete!


NO mantle. NO problem!
The stockings were hung on the ladder with care. . .
one for "Mr. Ed", one for son, one for daughter~in~law
and one for me!


Until next time. . .

12 comments:

Susie said...

Well my goodness...what took you so long...you are very good at making stockings :):) We sometimes surprise ourselves, don't we?? I love how you hung the stockings on the ladder. xoxo,Susie

Okio B Designs said...

Your stockings are adorable! And I love your solution to not having a mantle! I quite like them on the ladder! Something I might have to copycat next year as we also have no mantle. Happy holidays!

Jeanine

Ann said...

Adorable fabric for stockings--great idea. How cute are they on the ladder. I made some this year from burlap and I love them.
Ann

Marigene said...

Your stockings came out great...I am horrible at sewing! They look so cute hanging on the quilt rack. I really like the lace tops, too.
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Pat!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, your little stockings are so sweet. I like the way you added the lace and they look darling on your ladder. I'll be waiting for that post.
Thank you so much for popping in to see me and you're always a sweeties,
Shelia :)

Sue@sprucelakecottage said...

Hi Pat, your stockings are really cute! You know I am going to have to get hubby to bring in a ladder from the barn and maybe I can hang some quilts or afghans on it...yours is so pretty. Looking forward to your post. Take care friend and have a great Christmas!

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What cute Christms stockings! I love how you displayed them! Merry Christmas!
Nancy

Robin Johnson said...

Great job. I love the fabric you used and the lace and buttons on the top edge is a wonderful addition.

Amy Kinser said...

Your stockings look just wonderful. I love them hanging on your ladder. I so love all of the wonderful well thought out decorating you have done for Christmas.

Merry Christmas, my dear friend.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Love your stockings Pat and love them on the ladder!! Sew wish I could sew!

Anonymous said...

What precious stockings Pat!! Love that darling striped fabric!

I remember making stockings when I was about 12 years old. My mom always invited young Air Force men from a nearby base over for Christmas and we made little stocking for each one with goodies stuffed inside. They really enjoyed them as so many were missing home and family.

Merry Christmas friend!

bee blessed
mary

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

GREAT job!!! They look so pretty hanging on the ladder. Wishing you all a very merry and blessed Christmas. XO, Pinky