The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

What's On The Menu? 3

Sunday evening menus On Crooked Creek are usually leftovers from a hefty Sunday afternoon lunch. But that's not the case tonight!!! While shopping Memories Of Home Garage and Warehouse $ale on Friday, I found these two 11.5 X 8.5 Macaw trays! I didn't hesitate . . .I scooped them up and handed them to April!
. . .and @ 40% off. . .I adore them even more!!!


So~o~o. . .
Sunday evenings menu had to be something a bit more than leftovers to place on these lovelies!!!



MENU:

Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwiches
served on a Hoagie Roll

Bowtie Pasta Salad
with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing

Iced Tea




Salads made with a variety of pastas are a family favorite On Crooked Creek! These bowtie pastas make an interesting appearance to an otherwise ordinary pasta salad!




Since both are in abundance this time of year, I use fresh vegetables from the crisper and from the herb garden.




One stalk of celery, one carrot, about a quarter of a cup of green onions, 12 ~ 15 grape or cherry tomatoes. I like to thinly slice the carrots and boil them for 3 ~5 minutes. . . this gives them a sweeter flavor and an authentic *al dente* consistency.

My herbs of choice: sweet basil, chive, and thyme!



Coat the pasta with the vinaigrette while still warm, fold in all the chopped vegetables and herbs. In the Summertime, I like to place the salad in Ball canning jars. Not only does it make a nice presentation, but is easily identifiable once it's place in the refrigerator!!!




Tonight's table calls for my newest place mats and napkins combined with  Garage $ale find flatware by Gibson. The green in the flatware is a bit softer than the macaw, but the two repeat the hues of green in the linens! These Tuscan berry napkin rings bring all the hues together!








Soaring temperatures of 111 degrees on the Prairie call for a 
C O O L BLT Sandwich, C O L D Pasta salad and I C E D  Tea!  That's What's On The Menu On Crooked Creek. . .so~o~o. . .what are you serving???







On Crooked Creek is joining On The Menu Monday with our dear hostess, Yvonne @ StoneGable. Be sure to visit and share your menus, recipes, and tips for all the participants and viewers!



http://www.stonegable.blogspot.com/


Until next time. . .

13 comments:

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Pat, I'm not sure I would be cooking or eating anything if I was in 111 degree weather! But your cool menu would tempt me! I hope you are out of the heat! Linda

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Come on over and see!!! We had a GREAT dinner!!!! Oh so yummy! If it had been 111 here: BLT's would have been on the menu too!!!!!!:):) XO, Pinky

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oooh...Pat! Your food looks yummy...but the plates make my heart stop! I think I would just sit and stare at them! lol Come on over! I'm having a Pfaltzgraff dinnerware giveaway! Happy week!...hugs..Debbie

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

It will be 100 degrees here tomorrow. Thanks for the menu for tomorrow's dinner! It looks delish.

Sarah said...

I would have scooped up those trays too. Lovely find and lovely Sunday dinner.

Martha said...

Pat -- looks really good and the BLT is a favorite here as well -- although we prefer ours on toast.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

You are a brave woman to brave that heat! NO wonder you are eating some nice cool and yummy food.
I LOVE your plates. What is the Memories of Home Garage Sale? I think your new treasures are fabulous!
Thank your for the wise tip about storing pasta salad in ball jars! Great advice.
And thank you for participating in OTMM~ you give us such yummy ideas!
Yvonne

Miz Helen said...

Hi Pat,
Your Sunday Evening meal looks very good. Nice and easy like Sunday Evening should be. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Thanks for sharing the pasta in a jar. Genius! I love your plates in the first picture, so rich looking. Man you all are hotter than we are and we're all melting down over here.. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Lovely tablescape for summer and a yummy cold plate meal. I hope your hubby appreciates your extra touches. I think that is so important in a marriage. Even the day-to-day events can be something special.

Till next time...
God bless you.
Ginger

Janine said...

Great dinner for a hot day!!

Marlis said...

Oh you captured my heart with those trays! They are so beautiful. I am so happy for you! Your salad looks so refreshing. I'm with you on the triple digit food fare.. light and preferably cold. Thanks for dropping in, I wish you many blessings, Marlis
oh and I love your granddog.. such a charmer.

bj said...

Yep...that doggie is a cutie, for sure. He looks so sweet....

Love those beautiful trays and BLT's are my favorite sandwiches in the world. I am not a huge fan of pasta of any kind but do eat a little ...your salad looks wonderful.

Hugs, bj