The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Milk and Honey!

On Crooked Creek ~
is blessed to have a handyman! "Mr. Ed" can make  a n y t h i n g!





I've been envious of those adorable wooden boxes that show up frequently on blogs I visit!



So~o~o . . .
while we were returning from celebrating my Dad's "90th" birthday, we stopped into a unique Antique Shop in Yates Center and the owner had at least a dozen of those boxes in all shapes, sizes and finishes!





I had just about made my final decision on which one I couldn't leave without when "Mr. Ed" whispered over my shoulder,
" I can make you one of those boxes."





"Do you have your camera with you?"







Silly question!!!
Two things I never leave home without. . . my camera and a tape measure when I know I'm going junking...er, I mean antiquing!




Once we arrived home, "Mr. Ed" wasted no time at all making a prototype!!!
With what else, but cardboard and duck tape!








Now, ladies. . .having a custom made wooden box is the "bees knees"!!!


First, we had to make the size fit our small circular dining table.









Next, we had to make the interior with grooves. . .
to accommodate any plates that I might what to display inside the box!







Finally, we had to decide on the finish.




"Mr. Ed" states if I paint this box it will be the last one he makes for me!!!


So~o~o. . .for now. . .the jury is still out on the final finish!


Those of you who follow On Crooked Creek already know that my all ~ time favorite tablescape is black, white and green! However; this Spring, I really am loving this buttery yellow hue!!!







So~o~o. . .
here's my black &  white toile scalloped place mats set with my everyday white china dinnerware!



Black &  white checked napkins with beaded buttery yellow napkin rings! I adore how our everyday stainless steel beaded flatware mimics the beading on our dinnerware!!!



Whether we're having breakfast, lunch or dinner. . .
clear bubble stemware for our iced tea and our bee stemware for orange juice!





To begin the centerpiece, bouquets of soft buttery yellow hued Prairie flowers fill a Lennox crystal cut glass vase.


Now comes the milk & honey. . .
a vintage one pint milk bottle and a lidded crystal etched honey jar. . .fit nicely atop one of my newest vintage finds ~ a Cannon cotton dishtowel! I adore the windowpane check with crisp white and yellow hues!




On Crooked Creek ~ a newly acquired collection is in the making! Creamy ivory ironstone! The only marking is on the oval tray and it reads  U S A.  





Hand~painted bee hive salt &  pepper shakers from Japan are a complimentary accessory for  any meal On Crooked Creek!




It must be a breakfast tablescape. . .
look it's the Honey Nut Cheerio bee! Isn't he the cutest???




Oh, no! Another bee on the dining room table?
Now where did I put that fly ~ swatter???




A black, white and buttery yellow tablescape. . .
this might just be my favorite hues yet!



Dear Ones,
I thought I was over~hearing a swarm of bees. . .
what's this?


Can it be???



"Mr. Ed" making another wooden box???



Ah~h~h. . .
in the land of milk & honey. . .




Until next time. . .

12 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love it Pat and your beautiful tablescape!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Well now, isn't Mr. Ed just as SWEET as HONEY!!!!!! Your new box IS the bees knees, and I LOVE your tablescape. I ahve GOT to get some CLEAR bubble glasses. I have some gold ones but that is all. I saw real pretty PINK ones at Home Goods yesterday but they only had 3. Darn, would have grabbed them. XO, Pinky

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Pat...

Awww...how very sweet of Mr. Ed to make one of those awesome wooden boxes for you! He did a fabulous job! I would have never thought to make grooves for the plates...that's sooo neat! Well dear friend, not only did your box turn out great but you certainly did a lovely job of accessorizing it! Ooooh...I love the honey canister! I also love the pretty white and buttery yellow dish towel...and of course...the bees are adorable! I think the buttery yellow looks so pretty with your black and white place settings!!! Such a sweet and summery table to dine at...I love it! Thank you for sharing it with us...and your new beautiful box!!!

Well dear friend, I was so happy to find your sweet note this morning! Thank you for the nice compliments! I also enjoy our visits! Hope you're having a fabulous summer...mine seems to be flying by.

Love ya,
Chari

podso said...

Absolutely beautiful! I like it just the way it is but it will be interesting to see how you finish the box, if you do. Maybe he is going into business ... making more to sell. Your tables cape is simply beautiful! I can tell you are already enjoying your new freedom!

On Crooked Creek said...

Dear Ones,
"Mr. Ed" has already completed my second wooden box! It resides on the rectangular dining room table on the lower level On Crooked Creek!!! Another custom order...just for my Grandmother's table!!! Still need to work on finishes on both!!! I'll post them here and on FB when they are completed!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, What a WONDERFUL work of loving art you have!!! So much better than any vintage box... because it was made by Mr. Ed! So sweet of him!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Wow, can SWEET MR. ED make me one?! Your hubby is the sweetest man around, you're so lucky.. he made a terrific looking wooden box, which he's right, I wouldn't paint it either, it's so pretty!! You arranged it so beautifully.. creating a great looking vignette with the cute bee! Better than the vintage kind too! Thanks for making me smile with your lovely visit. Love,
FABBY

Donna, The Decorated House said...

What beautiful little "box" although calling it just a box seems too little a compliment. :)
I adore the fact that Mr. Ed first made a prototype. I bet my hubby wishes he had done that a few times so I wasn't changing things after he was sure he was done.
I can think of so many uses for this lovely treasure. Happy Weekend~

Lois Arnold said...

Lucky you! What a wonderful box!

Anonymous said...

That box is so much more special knowing your hubby lovingly made it for you!!! Great job he did and great idea making a prototype with cardboard!

Love your sweet bee and hive shakers!!!! Gotta love those bees! I checked my hive at the house and they look like they are doing a great job making honey this year!

bee blessed
mary

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How wonderful is that, Pat! Your Mr. Ed is a miracle worker! Your boxes are fabulous! And...two of them! Amazing! Love how you filled it, too! Happy weekend! Looking forward to seeing you at the Christmas in July party!...hugs...Debbie

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Bravo Mr. Ed...I love it!
Great post!!!