The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

MoM's Menu...#1!

Since becoming unemployed, by choice, I've had more time to do the things I enjoy the most! One of those is not only cooking and trying out new recipes, but also, to share a meal with our son and daughter~in~law!

Beginning this week, MoM's Menu will be a time when a double recipe is made and bagged up for our son to "pick up" on his way home for work! That way, he can enjoy an evening with our daughter ~in~law without worry or hassle of what to prepare for their evening meal!

So~o~o...
here's what's on the first MoM's Menu. . .

Homemade Meatloaf with B~B~Q Sauce Topping
Twice Baked Potatoes
Creamy Coleslaw
Butterflake Dinner Rolls
Apricot Brandy Iced Tea
Strawberry ~ Shortcake Cookies
Vanilla Ice Cream




Two, one pound meatloaves topped with B~B~Q Sauce ~ one for for them ~ one for us!!!



Six, Idaho potatoes prepared with a touch of Olive Oil and Sea Salt, all ready for the oven!



Fresh out ~of ~the ~oven and ready to be covered in aluminum foil for the ride home!!!


Years ago, I was a devoted follower of Living magazine. One of my favorites about the magazine was the inclusion of cookie recipes at the end. I cut out quite a collection! This one seemed perfect to go along with a scoop of ice cream after such a full bodied menu!



Save Room For. . .  Strawberry ~ Shortcake Cookies!
"These tender cookies are made with cream and studded with sweet strawberries for a portable version of a classic dessert."

12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 ~ inch dice (2 cups)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups all ~ purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 ounces ( 6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cups heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling



Strawberries, hulled and ready to dice! 


Measured ingredients ready for combining!


*Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
*Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
*Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining granulated sugar in a large bowl.
*Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
*Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.



Ready for the oven!

*Using a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart.
*Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes.
*Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool.
*Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

Makes 3 dozen!


Shown here 1/2 dozen cookies!

One dozen for son and daughter ~ in ~ law. . . one dozen for us. . .and one dozen for the freezer to enjoy another time!!!

Shown here another 1/2 dozen cookies!


A delightfully soft cookie with fresh strawberry sweetness, perfect for an afternoon tea or shared meal On Crooked Creek!




Kitchen Tip:


This recipe is q u i t e intense...
so~o~o . . .unless making these for an afternoon tea. . .
On Crooked Creek will stick to my regular Strawberry Shortcake with fresh strawberries and half & half!!!


Here's MoM's Menu B ~ B ~ Q Sauce recipe:

1 cup Ketchup
1 cup KC Masterpiece B~B~Q Sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped Onions
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Honey

Whisk all ingredients together in a microwaveable bowl and heat on high until bubbly. Spoon lavishly over meatloaf  just before baking! Bake 1 hour @ 350 degrees.



The nice thing about sharing a meal with son and daughter ~ in ~law. . . is receiving fresh tomatoes from their garden in the returned clean dishes!



Until next time. . .
www.stonegable.blogspot.com
On Crooked Creek is joining our sweet hostess, Yvonne @ Stonegable for On The Menu Monday! Be sure to visit and try a new recipe for your family this week!!!

17 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

It all looks scrumptious Pat!!
Happy "retirement".:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Shoot! Can I just come over? :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Wow, you sure are a GOOD MOTHER!!! My daughter's friends kidded her about me cooking dinner for them every night while they lived here. Your menu sounds DELICIOUS!!!! I might try the cookies....ONCE:):) Thanks for the recipes. XO, Pinky

Amy Kinser said...

I think that is the one of the best ideas I have heard in so long. What a sweet servant's heart. I will pack that idea away in my head for when my children get married. Thank you for sharing.

The food looks wonderful, by the way.

Martha said...

What a lovely tradition you've started -- and everything looks yummy! I'll have to try those cookies next time I get some fresh strawberries.

podso said...

It looks delicious, Pat, and what a wonderful idea to give your kids a night off from preparing a meal! Love that you are finding your way in your new life!

Lynn said...

How nice to send home dinner for the kids! My Sunday leftovers head home with them too. Love the cookie feature in MSL-your choice sounds like a great one:@)

allisamazing said...

Your menu looks delicious and what a wonderful idea - to cook and share a meal :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, everything looks so good! I love meat loaf and potatoes! Wish I lived close by so maybe you would invite me to eat! :) I love strawberries and would love to nibble one of these pretty cookies.
Thanks for popping in and be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

What a sweet, sweet mother you are. My mother-in-law used to make meals for us all of the time; she loved to cook for her baby. It made my life easier too!!

Carole said...

What a lovely thing for you to do.
I found this on Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday. I have linked in a fried chicken dish that you don't want to look at if you are dieting! Have a nice week.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I am sooooooo wishing you were *my* mother-in-law!! What a completely gorgeous and generous idea, you lovely lady, you!!

Your son and his wife are in for a total treat - this meal look DELICIOUS!

Sarahx

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Thanks for the tip on the cloth to soften my basket tray. I'm going to do it right now.

Betsy said...

Wow, what a delicious dinner. Thank you for the strawberry cookie recipe, will have to give those a try. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to your posts. I like the sunflowers on your page , a cheery place to visit.
I babysit my grand daughter and when my son has to pick up Addy cause mom's working late, I do the same thing and make extra dinner for them.
Will be back soon
Betsy

Babs said...

OMGosh! I'm on my way over. Are there any left-overs? Everything looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Yum!
Babs

Aledia said...

Mmm, your meal looks delicious! ~Happy Retirement~ Thanks for sharing the recipes! I hope you have a wonderful night!

(hugs)
Aledia @ Plum Perfect

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, This is such a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at ON THE MENU MONDAY!
I bet your daughter-in-law thinks you are just the best mother-in-law! I have got to try those Strawberry Shortcake cookies!