The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Between Seasonal Changes. . .

The calendar On Crooked Creek
states it's officially half~past Winter
and a quarter ~ "til Spring!


With that in mind, 
I've set a between Seasonal changes tablescape!



Keeping the streamlined approach
while still craving Traditional decor, I chose black and white 
with soft buttery yellow accents for this tablescape!



I adore this petite, crystal compote with frosted base!
It's filled to the brim with faux grapes 
which mimic the soft buttery yellow beaded candle rings
on the silver single candle holders and yellow marbled tapers.



A simple centerpiece
set in the center of our round dining room table
allows for free~flowing conversation between "Mr. Ed" and I.




Everyday Oneida stainless flatware,
rests beside a gathered linen fagot edged napkin
held with a soft butter yellow beaded napkin ring.



A gift from "Mr. Ed", 
I added my crystal salt cellars with 
silver spoons as an added touch of elegance.



Simple classic white dinnerware with embossing and scallops
that accentuate the black and white scalloped place mats.
Claret wine stemware serve as our water goblets. 



Place settings for two 
atop a white linen fagot edged tablecloth.



 * * * * * FYI * * * * *

As a child, 
I would often accompany my MoMa into the Townhouse Hotel
where she was employed at Albertees Beauty Salon 
as a Beautician.

Many times, 
we would have breakfast in the Upper Level Coffee Shop.  
While MoMa finished her coffee and the morning edition 
of the Kansas City Star, I was allowed to observe as the 
staff prepared the formal banquet hall for the noon dining. 

I thoroughly enjoyed watching, 
perched from high above, as the staff  layered the starched 
damask and linen table cloths across the length of the long
tables.  

Almost as precision drills,
the staff clan in black and white uniforms, would make an
inverted pleat at each end of the long tables. As that task 
was completed, with precise timing another staff member 
would enter and place square white linen cloths atop the damask.  As I viewed the entire stretch of the tables, 
it was as if  the cloths had formed diamond points 
down the outer edges of the banquet tables.

MoMa thought my sighs were those of boredom. 
Quite to the contrary, they were ^sighs^ of full bliss!!!
Being the ripe age of six, I thought this one of the most
fascinating sights I had beheld!

* * * * * * * * * * * * *



Sunlight streaming through the double patio doors
brings thoughts of the onset of Spring.



Candlelight chases the chill that still
lingers in the cool of Winter's evenings.



Time passes rapidly On Crooked Creek 
between each Seasonal change
whether it's half~past Winter 
or a quarter ~'til Spring!


Until next time. . .


www.betweennapsontheporch.net


On Crooked Creek will be joining 
Tablescape Thursday!

Be sure to visit
for you’ll come away
filled with amazing inspirations
for use in your own home décor!




6 comments:

podso said...

Love the black and yellow Pat. Maybe i've said before your candlestick holders look just like my mother's which I now have. I went back to your last week's tables cape. Love it! And just how you used those two saucers was so creative! I think the cup you chose was perfect. We should mix up cups and saucers more often. thanks for reminding me of the saucer story, I had to wrack my brain for a few minutes to remember how it all happened, I guess she read a comment of yours on my blog and on it went from there. But how I remembered it was your blog --- amazing to me at this point! But I love the story and the way we connect through blogging!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Pat I loved your story about when you were young. I often dreamed of working in a hotel and that came to pass. I was a Director of Sales for about 20 years and loved every minute of it and made wonderful friends all over the USA.

Your table was so beautiful and I loved the black and white. Thank you for sharing.
Mary

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love the story about you and your MoMa. Salt cellars! They were brought out at Christmas at our house and my brother and I thought they were so special. Beautiful candlesticks..have the same ones that were my Grandma's.
Mr Ed is one lucky guy!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

You always set such a pretty table.

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful story to go with your table setting, Pat. What precious thoughts for a 6 year old. I love your black and white- it is classic and timeless- xo Diana

Babs said...

Pat, Thanks for sharing the story of your visit with your MoMa and the trip to the hotel's dining room. Your table is so pretty. I really like the black and white placemats and the soft buttery color of the candles, candle rings and grapes. Very pretty. Hope you don't get too much of that awful storm.
Babs