The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Handy Lil' Heirloom. . .

Not every heirloom 
that I've been fortunate enough to receive 
has thrilled my soul.

Such was the Case of the 
Early American Maple finish Bookcase.



However much I dislike its appearance. . .
I do appreciate the storage it gives in Studio One!



So~o~o. . .
I made a list of complaints against this little shelf!

Complaint #1):
Those small knobby looking legs!!!



Complaint #2):
The railing with the turned spindles!!!



Complaint #3):
The marks . . .


nicks. . .


and scrapes. . .



that show how badly aged this piece truly is!

I took my three point list of complaints
to The Master Carpenter ~ "Mr. Ed" ~
and Ladies, just look at this little bookcase now!!!

No more knobby looking legs!!!



No more railing with the turned spindles!!!



. . .and 



No more marks, nicks and scrapes!!!



Of course,
"Mr. Ed" decided it was "High Time"
I testify to the changes, as well!

A bit brighter and lighter than I had anticipated. . .
I'm applying some Old English Scratch Cover!





Using Scrapbooking papers,
I applied with Mod Podge decoupage medium,
I have an easy to clean surface for the top of this bookcase!

I adore how the bookcase 
fits 
beneath the "drawer ~ turned ~ shelf" unit 
that was a joint effort on our part!





Now a handy lil' heirloom 
that blends harmoniously 
with the updated and streamlined theme in Studio One!




Perfect storage solution 
for my collection of Romantic Homes
and Traditional Homes Magazines!



Perfect arm chair height 
for a relaxing afternoon of resourcing ideas
for upcoming events and Seasonal changes On Crooked Creek!



Case dismissed!!!



Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek will be joining

www.betweennapsontheporch.net

Metamorphosis Monday!

Be sure to visit
for you’ll come away
filled with amazing inspirations
for use in your own home décor!


9 comments:

Sarah said...

You are a clever one! I have to agree, the new look is so much better. Looks like a great storage piece.

Martha said...

Great transformation! Love the color!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

You and your husband did a great job on your bookcase. It looks great and I love the color.
Mary

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The transformation is wonderful. Love the new little bun feet and the color is so perfect for your space. Hugs, Marty

podso said...

Hey that's great. You have a wonderful hubby but you know that. Wonderful transformation!

Allison said...

Nice makeover - love the color!
I hope you'll drop by to see My Daughter's Master Bath Redo - #83 at Met Monday.

Allison
Atticmag

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Good save for that heirloom. Wow you save all your mags. I weed mine out and recycle them.

My Cottage Diary said...

Hi Pat! What clever ideas for revitalizing a "well-loved" piece! It looks great! Love your drawer turned into a shelf, too. Blessings for a great week! Bess

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Love it, love it, love it!!