The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Books. . .

"Don't judge a book by its cover"
unless, of course, its primary purpose is for home decor!


Copyright 1952.  By Cowles Magazines, Inc.
Inside the cover of The Private Dining Room by Ogden Nash
is the inscription
Richard Laswell
May 7, 1958
(Book of the Month Club)


The metaphorical phrase simply implies. . .
"You shouldn't prejudge the worth or value of something,
by its outward appearance alone".

Indeed!




Thumbing through the pages,
I happened upon this vintage photo on page 61!



Forever lost within the pages of the book.
No inscription, only Rembrandt Studio 
embossed at the bottom edge of the photo.  





Purchased at a Consignment Shop,
the books were  $5.00 each.
However with a going out~of~business $ale,
I purchased the set at 30% off!


Perhaps in the future I'll chose to follow the English idiom. . .



or. . .not!


Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek will be joining

www.dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Thursday's Inspirations!

Be sure to visit
for you’ll come away
filled with inspiration!


* * * * * * * FYI * * * * * * *
My main purpose to join 
Thursday's Inspirations
was to improve my photography skills. 

This week, after encouragement from 
Patty @ Lemon Lane CottageI went into the settings. 
I found where to turn off the flash!!!

It is my hope to continue learning and improving
my photography skills!!!

A heartfelt thanks to Mary @ Little Red House
and Patty @ Lemon Lane Cottage!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



         

18 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

How wonderful that you found that old photograph within the pages of your book. What a treat and treasure. Wouldn't you love to know who she is.

Blessings to you today sweet friend.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

How neat is that! I love the red color of the books too! I would love to find something like this! You did real good!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Lovely book and lovely photo, I think you did very well with the mark downs. BTW, you will love your photos even more without the flash.

Pieced Pastimes said...

I love buying vintage books for home decor and you found some lovely ones. Such a sweet surprise to find the vintage photo within the pages. The mystery of who she might be and why her photo was tucked in the book only adds to the charm of your treasures.
Thanks for sharing,
Suzanne
Pieced Pastimes

Decor To Adore said...

What great books~ the red shade is fantastic!

Patty Marker said...

Good for you! You will love photography even more as you get braver, at least that's what I am finding. I love books as decor, too. btw...your last vignette is so beautiful. I love how you layer things so seemlessly. The rain has started here so it will be a day of puttering inside for me and now you have inspired me to check out my tablecloths and create some spring indoors.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Love the old books and what a treat to find the old snap! Don't you wish it could tell it's story.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Dewena said...

The books are a wonderful rich red! But the title, The Private Dining Room is intriguing. I remember Ogden Nash on one of those old black and white contest television shows...was it I've Got a Secret? Really revealing my age here. Can't think of it but I do remember his sharp wit. Is the book poetry or essays?

podso said...

Very cool to find that mysterious photo inside the book. Now you must wonder if she owned the book or some handsome man who loved her was reading the book. But how could he forget the photo of his beloved? If you are using books for decorating, and who of us don't as they add so much to a room, red is a good color to add vitality and a "pop"!

Sarah said...

Isn't it fun to find hidden treasures?
I smiled when I read " Don't judge a book by its cover, unless it's purpose is for home decor!" I have several books that I purchased just for the covers. Could care less what's inside. ;-)

NanaDiana said...

What a find, Pat. Wouldn't you love to know who the lady is in the photo? I love the books- xo Diana

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your set of red books was a great buy, and of course a bonus with the photo of the smiling lady inside.

Vee said...

Lovely books and a sweet vintage photo...a win-win all around. The red is fantastic and the topic is interesting.

Martha said...

What great books. There is just something about old books and often you do find a treasure inside. I've found a few but nothing like the picture that you found. If you only knew the story . . .

jp@A Green Ridge said...

As a novice to photography too, I know just what you mean by help and support from others! I wonder if there was a correlation between the photo and the page on which it was found?...:)JP

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love old books and yours look wonderful and at such burgains too! What a pretty girl in the photo you found...I wonder who she is, but she looks like someone from the 40's or 50's, because of her dress and hair. Hope you have a nice weekend.
FABBY

Shane Pollard said...

What a bargain those lovely books were! The vintage photo was an added gift!
I'm struggling with my camera, it's a very basic point and shoot, but I turned auto off and try different settings.... I would love an upgrade!
Pat, thank you for visiting me from Mary's!
Shane ♥

Mary said...

Oooh, gotta love an old set of RED books! ;)

I do love the fact that books can appeal as decor as well as reading material. In fact, I think we have books in almost every room in the house. :)

Thanks for contributing to Thursday's Inspiration. xoxo