The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

W e e Bit Irish. . .

On Crooked Creek,
both "Mr. Ed" and I are a wee bit Irish. 

 In honour of our Irish heritage,
I created a  Saint Patrick's Day tablescape!



My inspiration for this tablescape 
comes from our Cabbage Tureen!


Layers~upon~layers 
continue in On Crooked Creek's dining room.


* * * * * * * Tutorial * * * * * * *


I chose this sage green, ecru and tan 
windowpane tablecloth as a backdrop, 
then added a ecru linen tablecloth
for a more dramatic appearance. 



Using my everyday Gibson sage dinnerware 
combined with select vintage unmarked creamy ivory pieces,
kept that streamlined design amidst this tablescape.



In lieu of a place mat,
a Sage green dinner plate becomes a charger.



Angling rims gives greater visual appeal
as seen here in the top rim shot!



The contrast of sage green against the ecru linen tablecloth
creates a continuation of the Saint Patrick's Day color palette.



Continuing with a sage green salad plate. . .



 then adding an unmarked vintage soup bowl. . .



gives a stunning angled top rim shot!




By continued layer and angling,
my choice of dinnerware has created 
a Cabbage Rose for my dining room table!



Sometimes needing a refresher course 
on "perfect place settings",
this illustration from Pottery Barn 
enables me to achieve the effect I desire.



Showcasing my newly acquired 
vintage restaurant ware SYRACUSE `` CHINA 
                                                   94 ` A             U. S. A.
saucers for a bread plate with bread knife.
I, also, included my new ironstone butter pats.



Our everyday Oneida flatware complete with soup spoon.



Libby Claret Wine stemware serves as our water goblet.



I chose a less formal 
gold and tan stripe cloth napkin
held loosely with a leaf painted ecru napkin ring.



The subtle addition of color
keeps this monochromatic color scheme from
becoming too monotonous.



This ceramic Cabbage Tureen is the second I've owned. 
My first was purchased with Wedding Gift money in 1969!
However, during one of our Military Moves, 
it was broken beyond repair.
"Mr. Ed" and I purchased this one in an Antique Shop
in Louisburg, Kansas in 1990 
for double the amount of the original.



A pair of ironstone planters filled with faux Snowball blooms, 
in white and celadon green, 
extends our Saint Patrick's Day tablescape
On Crooked Creek!



Turning my vintage McCoy creamy ivory bowl upside down
creates a dramatic presence for the Cabbage Tureen.



Of course, this pair of birds not only enhances the color palette,
but adds a touch of whimsy to our Saint Patrick's Day tablescape!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I'll leave you with our favorite
Saint Patrick's Day Blessing
as you browse through the elements, once more. . .




May the road rise to meet you.



May the wind be always at your back,



the sun shine warm upon you face,




the rain fall soft upon your fields,



and until we meet again





may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.






Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek will be joining

www.betweennapsontheporch.net

Tablescape Thursday!

And. . .

www.stonegable.blogspot.com

Tutorials Tips and Tidbits!

And. . .

www.commonground-do.com


Debra @ Common Ground for
Be Inspired Friday!

Also joining. . .


Cuisine Kathleen for
5th Annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl!


Be sure to visit
for you’ll come away
filled with amazing inspirations
for use in your own home décor!

25 comments:

Pat@BPM said...

It's a beautiful St Patrick's Day table, Pat.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Your table is great, I love that adorable cabbage tureen! Thank you for the tutorial, and yes, it's nice to have a refreshing on how to set a perfect table. I just copied the plan for keeps. Big hugs,
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh...and have happy St. Patrick's Day!!
Fabby

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Have a beautiful St. Patty's day! What's on the menu??? Thank you for the diagram too, I sometimes need a little refresg=her. I love the little green rings under your flowet pots, great embellishment. The soft color pallette is beautiful. XO, Pinky

Marigene said...

What a lovely elegant St. Paddy's table...love all the green. You can use that cute cabbage tureen for Easter, too!

NanaDiana said...

Pat- I just LOVE it- I really love that cabbage tureen!!! You outdid yourself on this one-you would make St. Paddy beam with pride. Perfect- xo Diana

podso said...

Very sweet Pat. The birds just top it all off. Great centerpiece too. I found the "map" to be very interesting and I think I do it "right" but didn't know you needed two wine glasses. Maybe one for dessert. Hmmm

White Lace and Promises said...

Love the tablescape. White is my favorite to decorate with. Love it! The birds are just adorable. I have got to get into my Spring decorating I posted my recent decor. Sad story but bright hope for the future, if you care to follow me,my last post Promise of Spring. I am now your newest follower.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Your table is lovely. I have to admit, I have to look at a proper table setting from time to time! Now I'm in love with that lovely cabbage tureen!! Thank you, sweet friend, for your prayers and kind words today.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kathleen said...

Lovely, Pat! Pretty , soft greens!
Come link this up at the 5 th Annual St. patrick's Day Crawl, it just started tonight!

Lynn said...

Your table is very pretty, I love that great cabbage tureen-enjoy:@)

Lisa said...

This tablescape is so calm and serene - and beautiful! I really love what you have created. Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven.
xo,

Lisa

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Pat, I always say you must know the rules for table settings so that you can then create your own variations. I love your diagram and the setting is perfect for St. Patty's Day. You really did make a cabbage with the dishes! It's nice that you were able to find another tureen. I am waiting for my mother to give me hers. Linda

Marlis said...

Pat, I love how serene this table is. The colors are beautiful. The double linens look so nice and opulent. The addition of the color, so well chosen, for the napkins makes this table sing. Love the tureen, i wish I had one. must go shopping!! Have the happiest of St. Patrick's days with many blessings coming your way! xo marlis

Jewel Sauls said...

I absolutely LOVE the cabbage tureen! So glad you found a replacement for the original! Lovely table and nice refresher course. Happy St. Pat's Day!!!!

Alycia Nichols said...

A cabbage rose! Get outta here! That is GREAT!!! Now THAT is creative thinking at its finest!!! I'm sorry about your first tureen. HATE it when that happens...especially when a replacement ends up costing twice as much! Louisburg, KS is just a hop, skip and a jump from us. Maybe about 45 minutes away. We roll through there on our way to Pittsburg, KS on the weekends. They have the tiniest McDonald's in the world, I think. We stop in there occasionally. It's so tiny, you could stretch out your arms and twirl in a circle and touch all 4 walls! :-) Wonderful table, and even MORE wonderful blessing!!! Have a safe ad happy St. Patrick's Day!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I have that exact same cabbage tureen. I've only used it for mashed potatoes. I have several vegetable shaped dishes - maybe I should get them all out at once and photograph them. I found mine at a thrift shop - and just love it. Beautiful tablescape - I try some but I'm not so good at the photographing angles - I'm better at outdoor things.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

All of the layers and lovely green and tan pieces work perfectly with your inspiration piece, the Cabbage Tureen. Beautiful table!

Kindly, Lorraine

Diane said...

So pretty and I love the cabbage tureen and the story that goes along with it. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Bonnie said...

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you. My mother had the same cabbage tureen that you have. It is sitting on my kitchen counter now.

I love all the layering using green and white. Green and white is so fresh and just feels good. Glad you found another cabbage tureen. Great tablescape.

Shane Pollard said...

Oh what a beautiful tablescape Pat - I love everything about it!
Your cabbage tureen is wonderful, I would love one like that, I must keep my eye out for one.
We were married in April 1970 so we're not far behind you! Unlike several of our friends we are still one happy family as I imagine you are too.
Shane ♥

Babs said...

Have a great St.Patrick's Day...your table is so pretty set with the cabbage tureen and the sweet little birds.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love all the beautiful soft greens you have used to create your Irish table setting. The cabbage tureen really was a perfect starting point!

Debra@CommonGround said...

LOVE your cabbage tureen, I have one that my mom made for me, and it always makes me feel like Spring. Have a Happy St. Paddy's!!

Diane said...

Love your charming St. Paddy's day tablescape. The birds are so sweet and such a lovely blessing. Stopping by from Kathleen's wishing you a Happy St. Paddy's day!